back to article Google News stumbles again

Google's news aggregation and search site had another little lie down yesterday, for the second time this week. On Monday afternoon the news page was briefly unavailable from the UK and it went down for another 15 minutes yesterday. Google UK did not comment on Monday's problems. But Computerworld had more luck - Google said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Search...

"shows how far the search company has"

I could have sworn that they were an advertising company, with a sideline of search engine.

2. Long Fei
    Alert

Google owns blogs too!

As China has now blocked Blogspot, it's become apparent that about half the blogging world use this service.

3. Tony Green
    Unhappy

Not just news

I noticed that the embedded Google Maps in the sites I run were also crapped out last night at about 2145.

Seems whatever they're breaking is pretty fundamental to Google's systems.

4. Dave

And Today...

I was getting refused or 'page contains no data' from www.google.co.uk earlier this morning, so they've still got a dodgy cable somewhere.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Companies reliant on google apps...

Well guess they have learnt their lesson then?

Its probably not a good idea to be 100% reliant on google apps when there are so many factors that could take them off line.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would have posted something

but I've been blocking Google cookies for so long now that I have died of swine flu.

7. Britt Johnston
    Gates Halo

AC@ Companies reliant on google apps...

Surely MS-office 2010 will have a google back-up reader built in, to give it a unique selling point?

Otherwise, some open-source do-gooder will develop a utility to copy everything you change in a googleapp onto your local drive as a back-up.

8. DarkHorseDre
    Paris Hilton

.. nothing new

If anyone here has read the gmail/google "help" (loose-term alert) pages/forum, they would know there are frequent outages and bugs.. even my trash folder thats supposed to be emptied every xx days had items over a year old in there - when I posted about it, got dismissed, then proved it, it was suddenly fixed!

Point is Ive read and experienced many google app failures and they just dont seem to have a good resilience and continuity in-place...

Google are great app builders, but only ok infrastructure designers = don't depend on them (I have my personal mail split between 2 yahoo and 1 gmail accounts)

Paris - 'cos she knows how to keep going when the going gets tough

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like