back to article Cybersecurity groups band together in malware fight

Three cybersecurity groups said Tuesday they plan to band together to combat the growing scourge of malware. The Anti-Spyware Coalition, National Cyber Security Alliance, and StopBadware.org said the Chain of Trust Initiative will link together vendors, researchers, government agencies, network providers, and other groups …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Reinhard Schu

default superuser access is the root cause

We would not need any of this "alliance" and fight against malware nonsense, if Windows did not make every PC user a superuser by default. If people had to do the equivalent of a linux sudo every time something tried to install itself, it would solve most of the malware/virus issues.

2. Inachu
    Alien

Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it the free stuff finds more than the top 3 retail security products?

Pure stupidity!

3. David Pollard

Maybe punting for contracts?

"lead the mapping effort and jointly develop ideas and initiatives to form stronger bonds between links on the chain." Is that a fancy way of saying it plans to figure out what its next step will be?

Without doubt bot-farms and the like impinge on the smooth working of the internet and pose something of a continuing and growing threat to commerce, which will have to be tackled one way or another. Hopefully solutions will be found through the introduction of better software and user education rather than through the introduction of intrusive measures at ISP level.

Meanwhile, the 'mapping effort' statement may well mean something like, "We are in a good position to assist with the work of the MTI and NSA initiatives, so please can we have a slice of the budget and access to some of the information that the spooks will be gathering."

4. Humph

<title>

I'm not sure these folks have understood what malware/spyware is designed to achieve. Quite how they expect to shut down criminal gangs in other jurisdictions is a mystery to me. Perhaps their master plan involves purchasing multitudinous copies of AntiVirus2009 in order to prevent them from falling into the hands of naive users?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Reinhard Schu

Didn't they try that with Vista? Which lead to UAC and other such crap that people just turned off?

6. Goat Jam

UAC

UAC is nothing like sudo on Linux.

sudo asks for your password, which you then have to type. The fact that you have to stop clicking the mouse in order to type in your password gives the user a buffer period which is hopefully enough time for the brain to engage and ask "why exactly am I putting my password in?"

UAC OTOH just keeps asking for clicks. 'dozers are so conditioned into clicking OK that they just reflexively click until the dialogs stop appearing.

Effectively, all UAC achieves is increased wear on mouse buttons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like