back to article Google makes breaking up with Hotmail, Yahoo! easy to do

Google has added a feature to its popular Gmail service that allows users to easily import email and contacts from their Hotmail, Yahoo! et al accounts. Mountain View’s new tool, which is powered by TrueSwitch, migrates messages and contacts from other webmail providers and is available for all new users who are happy to dump …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

OK but...

...I'm not sure Microsoft and Yahoo! will care about losing people using their free webmail and may even appreciate the reduced cost?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm...

I wonder if it can be used to migrate from one Gmail account to another..

3. Mark Rowan

Mmigration to Google Apps

But will it allow me to finally migrate from Gmail to my Google Apps mail account? I can't believe how long this issue has been left unaddressed by Google so far.

4. Don Mitchell

Gross ads

The only real reason I've considered moving from hotmail to gmail is the gross teeth-whitening ads that I see every time I log into hotmail now. Don't they know how to at least rotate between multiple ads? Maybe Google is paying for those ads! LOL.

5. Jimbo

dam ...

I'm old school Yahoo Mail user since 1999, but I have to say Google is pushing pretty hard and might win me pretty soon...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What adverts?

Oh come on whoever still sees adverts on the net (excluding viral advertising dressed up as a news item on a UK based IT news site) go to the back of the class!

7. James

One thing google hasn't fixed

is why I still send all my email with yahoo because, when I want to use my own domain address, yahoo at least makes an attempt to hide my yahoo iD in the headers whereas google insists in putting my google iD in the 'sender' field.

8. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

@James

Ummm, try "Settings>Accounts>Send Mail As" to set the default From address

Also, when you compose an email, the From: field is a drop down box which lets you choose what address to send from for that particular email.

Not sure what your problem is really.

Paris, because she's the only one who should still be using a HOTmail address

9. \\\

@Goat Jam

If you do that, you still get this as the from field:

myemail@googlemail.co.uk sent on behalf of myemail@mydomain.tld

10. James

@ Goat Jam

"Not sure what your problem is really."

That's funny, because it's the the thing that causes most complaints at Gmail 'help'.

http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Message-Delivery-en/browse_thread/thread/f651cb1db5d9dd23

11. ScottXB

Can Web Mail Be Ported Over as Well?

I would love to switch from AOL to GMail, but have a ton of past emails archeived in Folders on AOL's Web Mail Servers. Can that be ported over in mass to a GMail account? .......... because it is too much to open every mail and fwd to a new acct.

12. Tom
    Happy

50/50 so far.

Have Microsoft blocked the porting to Gmail?

I have just attempted to port from hotmail into gmail, and it isn't happening, apparently I'm not entering the correct email address and password in the gmail import wizard, yet I am fully able to log into the hotmail account.

Works great on Yahoo, I've managed to import all my old btinternet emails from an old account that Bt/yahoo wouldn't let me access,(I assume because I am no longer a Bt customer). Thanks, Google.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like