back to article Facebook eliminates parts of Wales

Welsh users of Facebook have got themselves into a bit of a tizz since the social networking site decided it coudn't be arsed with Wales and shifted a large percentage of its population to England. According to the BBC, those whose home towns were previously listed as Aberystwyth, Bridgend, Cardiff, Pontypridd and Swansea - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Well...

...they're basically English anyway. We just let them think they have a national identity to keep them quiet (although it doesn't seem to work most of the time).

*runs for cover*

2. Wize

I blame the merkins

Many of them think that UK = England (very possibly the fault of the English media/'national' broadcasts) and must have seen the towns listed under UK.

3. Mark Daniels

Wales....

... is not a country anyway, any mor than Yorkshire is.

So yes, Cardiff, England, would be accurate.

Mind you, if we could off load ?paying/ for wales, that would be a benefit.....

P.

4. Benny
    Thumb Up

Protest?!

"changed their location on their profiles to different Cardiffs elsewhere in the world as a protest"

Yea, stick it to the man...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It ain't just Wales

Scotland seems to have been relocated overnight too! I now come from Inverness, England apparently

6. Wayne Putterill

Now in UK

Just checked and it seems they have changed it so Pontypridd etc. is in the UK. Not quite as bad, as long as all English towns are also in the UK not England.

7. Hywel Thomas

It's just plain wrong

They should really fix this. If they want to reduce the locations, use UK instead.

It's not their only geographical blunder. The "I don't live in London, I live in KENT!! Campaign to get Kent a network" group springs to mind.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Derbyshire

We still don't exist. Which is just lovely.

9. Grant Mitchell
    Thumb Down

Not just Wales

Seems like they may have tried this in Scotland too...

judging by the group "ABERDEEN IS NOT IN ENGLAND!" (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=80236509770&ref=search)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Oh be quiet!

Edward dealt with you once many moon ago and now Facebook is finishing the job! You are part of the union, lump it! I don't see the Kernow mob up in arms at being lumped in with England?!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Is that *really* dissing Wales?

Surely one of the last things us English want to be associated with is Cardiff!!!

12. Greg

Yeah, fight the power!

What a bunch of losers. Technical glitch affects Welsh nationalist freaks, and rather than send a quick note and wait for the inevitable fix, they'd rather have a massive bitch over something so insignificant as a profile field on Facebook.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Congratulations

On another worth while news item. I successfully wasted another few seconds :)

14. Tony Smith

SNAFU Then

They have been listing people from Southampton as being in Portsmouth!!!!!!!!

15. hugh
    Joke

they're not the only ones.

according to Wolfram Alpha Wales is in the midlands 9 miles from Rotherham.

Someone should burn down their holiday homes.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Lionel Baden

lol

they always get so antsy about wales lol

bet a techie felt like a larf

18. This post has been deleted by its author

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

(untitled)

Oops. No doubt there will soon be some English groups for "we don't WANT Cardiff, please put it back where you found it"...

20. neb
    Flame

FFS

y bunch o pricks

sort it bwtty bach

pronto like

has tha no seen taff wars?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is it with social networking sites and Wales?

Between this and Bebo users bumping themselves off, Wales will soon be but a few pages in the Wayback Machine

22. Chris
    Pirate

I for one welcome...

..our new English Overlords, no wait! that happend century's ago ;-)

God Save the Queen.

23. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Now in UK

Can't be arsed to look myself.

Out of interest, where do they think towns in Northern Ireland belong at the moment?

24. Sam York

@ Mark Daniels

You're quite correct, it's a principality that these days is more an administrative region of the UK than anything else. I describe myself as British to anyone that asks.

'Cardiff, England' however is inaccurate. Cardiff, UK would be fine, but it is clearly not in England.

25. Richard

To our American friends...

who don't understand what all the fuss is aboot:

It's like you woke up Canadian.

26. Hugh Pumphrey

Dunbar still in England

Dunbar is currently listed as "Dunbar, England." The SNP will go ballistic if they spot this --- I am looking forward to seeing Alex Salmond turning purple.

27. Graham Marsden
    Pirate

@Tony Smith

> They have been listing people from Southampton as being in Portsmouth!!!!!!!!

So, moving the scummers up-market then... :-P

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also

If you try to find your friends from your e-mail contacts.. it supports @hotmail.co.uk but not hotmail.com...

Ah well, not a problem for me.. lets all worship our mountain view overlords that are Google!

29. breakfast Silver badge
    Pirate

Fortify Offa's Dyke! Prepare to repel boarders!

I knew the Welsh would try to take over sooner or later- and look, here we are in England sitting around on our hands totally unprepared!

Before we know it London will be reclassified Llwndwyrn and Birmingham will have been burned to the ground.

Actually, come to think of it, that wouldn't be so bad. I, for one, welcome our new vowel-rejecting overlords.

30. Richard
    Thumb Down

@Mark Daniels

"Wales... ... is not a country anyway, any more than Yorkshire is."

When I read this article I resigned myself to reading such anti-Welsh comments. Wales is a separate country (though practically considered to be a Principality) within the UK -- I take it you've heard of the various Acts of Union between 1536 and 1564: "The country of Wales justly and righteously is … incorporated, annexed, united and subject to and under the imperial Crown of the Realm, as a very member and joint of the same." Indeed Wales is thankfully a separate country to get away from cretins like you.

I don't mind if you keep Cardiff, though. It and the valleys are about as Welsh as Ulan Bator.

31. Steve Read

@breakfast

Actually, London was classified as Llundain ages ago...

(And before you spout, I'm English. And I live in France.)

32. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

It's a conspiracy

In conjunction with Wolfram Alpha, which lists the total population of Wales as under 6000.

33. Steven Knox
    Paris Hilton

@Richard

"To our American friends... who don't understand what all the fuss is aboot:

It's like you woke up Canadian."

Surely you mean US friends, as all of your Canadian friends (as well as any Mexicans, Brazilians, etc) are also American.

It's like you woke up European.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@richard

What the hell, Canada has better beer than we do in the states. So, I could actually live with that. But your point is well taken.

35. Jimbo
    Flame

Re: Fortify Offa's Dyke! Prepare to repel boarders!

"I knew the Welsh would try to take over sooner or later"

Too late, I'm afraid. Mrs Tudor's son Henry and the 'Anglesey Posse' got rid of the last English king in 1485, and his son 'Tubby' then united the two bits into one country - "England and Wales" - a legal definition which has never been repealed. So there is actually no country called "England" (which means there's also no country called "Wales" either - as Mark Daniels correctly pointed out - but that's a minor niggle when it allows me to wind up the Saxons).

Flames cos... well surely that's obvious

36. Law
    IT Angle

holy hell

"who don't understand what all the fuss is aboot:

It's like you woke up Canadian."

I'm glad you put it that way and the English get to be the civil Canadians! ;)

"It's like you woke up European."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................... :'(

I've made a decision I'm neither English, Scottish or Welsh... you're all as bad as each other you racist son's o' biatches! *looks for Canadian emmigration site*

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@bws

And britain has better beer then canada same as ireland has better beer then britain

wheres the "where is my pint" icon

38. Tony

Can I just say...

LLOL!

39. machinehead

I hope this is still there...

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/

Considering the vanishing of the rest of Wales......

I've always wanted to visit.

40. Mowds

Does it matter?

On Facebook, I set my location to the most Holy See, nobody seems to have noticed yet...

41. J
    Paris Hilton

Wales?

You mean those big sea animals with annoying songs?

(damn, I can't use two icons at the same time...)

42. Scott
    Thumb Up

nice....

"Facebook eliminates parts of Wales

* Track this topic

* Print story

* Post comment

Welcome to Pontypridd, England

By Lester Haines in Cardiff, Kirgikistan • Get more from this author"

43. Tony Smith

@Graham Marsden

>> They have been listing people from Southampton as being in Portsmouth!!!!!!!!

>So, moving the scummers up-market then... :-P

OK, I think I asked for that one, but in lieu of an IT angle I'll quote Geoff Hoon......

"Umm Qasr is a town similar to Southampton", UK Defence Minister Geoff Hoon told the House of Commons yesterday. "He's either never been to Southampton, or he's never been to Umm Qasr", said one British soldier, informed of this while on patrol in Umm Qasr. Another added: "There's no beer, the women are ugly and people are shooting at us. It's much more like Portsmouth"

44. Andy Bright
    Heart

It's nothing like waking up European

I protest that analogy and so do all my friends here in Paris, England.

45. Paul
    Thumb Down

NOT ONLY WALES

It's not only Wales and Scotland have been changed. Northern Ireland locations have been erroneously changed from "United Kingdom" to "England".

What a pack of NUMPTIES - boycott Facebook now!!!

46. Nordrick Framelhammer

Meh

Why worry? It's not as if Wales is is much higher up the IRB World Rugby Rankings than England, with England, at 6th, just shading Wales at 7th. Neither team is likely to beat the top 3 ranking teams any time soon.

47. Nordrick Framelhammer

@richard

Let's face it. The sewers of a slum are better beer than what is made in the USA.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

OK I'm really disappointed...

Either I'm just too tired and missed it or nobody has made the obligatory “because I’m the CEO, bitch” reference… Maybe it was in the best interest of executive bonuses and “shareholder equity” to take a few liberties with geographical fact?

Mine's the one with the I (upside down heart) facebook on the back of it, because its founder is a tool.

49. Oz
    Joke

@ Graham Marsden / Tony Smith

Well said Tony! :-D

I'd rather be a Scummer than a Skate - sorry to burst your bubble Graham, lol :-p

50. Brian Whittle

where am I

Facebook must have a very lazy mind set, The best the people where I live can get as a location is Manchester and I should think most of the people in Lancashire would not admit to to that being their location if they had a choice

51. Matt McMullan
    Paris Hilton

Not just wales...

A Facebook group dedicated to Belfast not being located in England either:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=87431020867

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like