back to article Acer readies HD netbook

Acer appears to be preparing a rather more HD-friendly netbook than many of its past mini laptops have proved to be. The Aspire One 571 - not to be confused with the recently launched Aspire One 751 - has the same shell as the Aspire One Dx50 series but comes with a 10.1in, 1280 x 720 display. Acer Aspire One 571 Acer's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hetz Ben Hamo
    Stop

not to confuse?

The article confuses several times between 751 and 571.

I fail to see the logic about this VMedia "mini drive". 1GB per layer? Even if it's dual layer, double side, you'll get 4GB storage total. A simple SDHC 4GB SD Card costs around $7 these days, and you cannot read those VMedia cartridges anywhere unless you'll buy an external drive for it.

As for Quartics Q1721 Multimedia Coprocessor chip , there are dozen chips (from TI and others) which can not only decode H.264 in real time, but other codecs as well (VC1, Divx HiDef, even some wavelet compressions). NVidia has some solutions too (other than the 9400M).

Weird machine, weird decisions..

2. b
    Go

like it!

now...just get on it and release it, acer!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Annoying review

"...assuming, of course, the 571 is legit and not simply a prototype or concept machine. "

So you have not done your research. I hate reading through what looks like a product review to then find a statement along the lines of 'well actually we have no idea if this is true or not'

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Why bother with Vmedia?

If you want to watch a film on the train, it would be simpler to just copy a couple of DVD's to flash before going out - unless your operating system is full of anti-format shifting crippleware.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HD?

Bah. 720p works fine on my AOA150 with latest CoreAVC installed.

6. It'sa Mea... Mario

I'll probably not be the first..

At the top:-

The Aspire One 571 - not to be confused with the recenltly launched Aspire One 751

At the bottom:-

There's no word on when the 751 might ship - or where. Certainly, Vmedia has been thus far aimed solely at the Indian market, and Acer may want to limit the 751 to customers there.

lol

7. stu
    Thumb Up

@AC

Hear Hear. I use AOA150s too for media centres. Play back 720p no bother a baw with coreavc. great wee machines. Did need a 10 quid digital audio USB job for 5.1 but that wiz it.

stu

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

netbook 720p? already does it!

I run 720HD on my Advent 4213 just fine, though it doesnt have a 720p native screen its still better than divx or a dvd image.

Just give us a Netbook with a dual core atom and a 720p screen and we will all be happy!

9. Jeff
    Thumb Down

Strange storage format...

Seems next to useless, redundant, expensive and proprietary to me. Why not include an LS-120 drive or something else equally antediluvian.

Name one single advantage this thing has over the ubiquitious SD card?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Great!

High def video on a small laptop screen! Just the product I've been waiting for...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like