back to article HP hit by laptop recall

HP is recalling thousands of laptop batteries after two machines overheated and caught fire. Although no one was injured it is clearly not comfortable, or safe, having a flaming lappie on your lap. The lithium-ion batteries were in HP or Compaq branded machines sold between August 2007 and March 2008. About 70,000* batteries …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden

arrghh

why cant they just test this stuff first

Its not exactly difficult turn it on stick it under a heat lamp. see how long it takes for battery to blow split etc etc

the longer the better

2. Big Bear
    Flame

Dooooooooooooooomed!

As I sit here in the office surrounded by a sea of silver and black, all I think about is the potential fiery death trap my employer is subjecting me to!!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Nuclear is the answer

We need to look at installing nuclear generation packs into portable devices! Imaging never having to recharge ever again... with one proviso.... laptops should no longer be used on your "lap" unless you wish to become sterile.

5. Sureo
    Alert

remove battery...

"Users are advised to remove the battery immediately..."

So the battery can't catch fire by itself? Where is the defect?

6. Tim Schomer
    Coat

I wonder...

... if these batteies were made by the same people who made them for Dell etc... If so I expect the manufacturer to get really burned by this episode.

The one with the asbestos lining please...

7. Ralph B
    Stop

Never Buy HP

The programmed "timing-out" of unused print cartridges shows the intent of this company towards their customers.

Save yourself a lot of grief. Never buy HP.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Free replacement..

.. of a two year old battery.. I'll bet thats a blessing for many. Not for HP Parts though...

9. Don S.
    Flame

It's not just the battery.

I have one of the affected units. I'm more worried about the super-heating hard drive catching fire to be frank.

10. Nicholas Wright
    Flame

Is it just me...

... but with the advent of electric cars... with batteries inside them... I'm starting to feel a teensy bit nervous.

11. Kanhef

Title

A laptop recall is not the same as a laptop battery recall.

</pedant.

12. Mark Spooner
    Flame

RE: Is it just me..

Exploding Ford Pinto take 2?

13. Dillon Pyron
    Flame

And the answer is

I don't know. I have to shut down the fraking thing to turn it over and pull the battery. Maybe tomorrow. I doubt the house will burn down tonight. I think.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like