back to article Microsoft preps for open-source cloud apps

Microsoft has unveiled a toolkit for PHP developers building open-source applications that help fluff its planned Azure cloud. PHPAzure is a software development kit (SDK) for programming to both Windows Azure and the underlying SQL-like Windows Azure Storage service's blobs, tables, and queues. PHPAzure is an open-source …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Butler
    Thumb Down

Great

Now Microsoft can do to PHP what they have done to HTML. Expect more fragmentation.

And Microsoft fanbois ... please try to avoid falling into the trap. The ONLY reason why Microsoft believes a new implementation of PHP is needed is because its own products do not play well with standards. Once you get your head into the Microsoft programming sand, it's tough to get out. So if you want a bright future with loads of options ... stick with standard PHP and avoid developing apps that REQUIRE PHPAzure and end up limiting your career choices.

2. Humph
    Stop

Can't help feeling ...

... that this is the first step toward Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

No amount of astroturfing or marketing-speak is going to convince me that this is not yet another move to monetise and fence off yet another thing that was working fine until Microsoft came along and "helped".

Given Microsoft's track record on Standards "compliance", why would we expect anything else?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Comment on ‘Microsoft preps for open-source cloud apps’

Anyone want to take bets as to how long before Miguel de Icaza starts hyping this thing up?

4. Eduard Coli
    Gates Horns

Hey you get off of my .....

Embrace and destroy.

I think M$ needs some new tactics, even third world programmers are tired of getting suckered.

5. raving angry loony

why?

I'm always surprised that Microsoft keeps finding idiot accomplices. Given that it hasn't changed its tactics much in almost 30 years, you'd think people would have learned something by now. But no, they will find more people to help them embrace, extend and extinguish. I just keep having to revise my opinion of the intelligence of people who work with computers. Downwards. Ever downwards.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@raving angry loony

"I just keep having to revise my opinion of the intelligence of people who work with computers. Downwards. Ever downwards."

Agreed. Even the self-styled cream of the crop on these pages, the minute they spot an article about MS, trot out the same old clichés, 'M$'. 'Embrace, extend and destroy.' And so on. Nice snappy, easy to remember phrases. Use them lots to try and hammer them into people's subconscious. Angry little people using the same methods as the marketing types they slag off so much. Ingenious.

And for God's sake, learn to spell boy. You can't even put 'boi' down to a typo. But since you won't, have fun using 'boi' as much as you can in some pathetic attempt to be witty. As long as you combine it with some really strained Paris Hilton reference. They're even more impressive.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why?

does el reg have the evil bill icon (for a start all the people using it cause they hate ms are idiots, since bill stepped down a while ago)

it just gives the MS haters another thing to put on there to STICK IT TO THE MAN, while they sit there and do nothing about what they hate, oh and gives rise to massive immaturity. Or is that what the comments section here is going for?

In reguards to this article, why is it bad for ms to embrace open source, when they don't people bitch at them, when they do , people bitch at them, those people shoudl at least accept its not what they do that they hate, its the fact that they are MS.

8. Mark Rendle

@James Butler

Way to flaunt your ignorance. If you took one minute to actually look at the Codeplex page for PHPAzure, you'd see that the system requirements are "PHP 5.2.4 or later". All it contains is a bunch of .php files and the documentation. No special Microsoft branch of PHP, no need to host the application in Azure or on IIS, nothing. It's just PHP classes which simplify access to the Azure storage stack. And it's open source.

9. James Butler

@Mark Rendle

Get out much?

"It's just PHP classes which simplify access to the Azure storage stack. And it's open source."

Just like HTML ... or are you ignorant of the history of web development languages and how Microsoft impacts on them? Less than 5 years after Tim Berners-Lee published the first HTML specification, we started seeing "MSIE Extensions" to HTML that could be used ONLY by MSIE to "enhance" web pages. Then we started seeing "This website ONLY works with MSIE" because fanboi HTML developers couldn't get their heads out of the Microsoft sand.

Yeah ... you just keep right on snoozing. Perhaps others will remember and avoid that path by simply sticking with REAL PHP, instead of putting themselves into the trap that IS Microsoft dicking around with a true standard.

@AC 15th May 2009 01:08 : It's spelled "fanboi", not "fanboy". It's a stupid bit of webspeak. Get over it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like