back to article Ubuntu fluffs web file-synchronization service

Ubuntu's commercial backer won't fluff its own cloud, but Canonical isn't eschewing online services in the battle against Microsoft. Canonical has begun beta tests of a web-based service that'll let you store and synchronize files on your Jaunty Jackalope PC with other Jackalope-powered machines. Called Ubuntu One, it's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Buggy 800 lb Gorilla

Mark Shuttleworth recorded the 1st bug at the inception of ubuntu. The bug, as noted by Shuttleworth, was MicroSoft's dominance in the desktop market. Ubuntu is an outstanding success story especially in light of the spin off distros like ubuntu studio. Windows is an 800 lb gorilla dressed up as a butler. It's not "where do you want to go today"; it's where will the gorilla let you go. Ubuntu and its derivatives are fast and sleek and represent the adage, "faster nervous systems eat slower nervous systems". Ubuntu is near to jumping up and taking huge bites out of the 800 lb gorilla. I moved from 32bit Windows XP pro to 64bit Windows XP pro on a dual core 3800 Athlon and was deeply disappointed. I upgraded to Vista pro with a (Vista Windows) plus 4 rating on the hardware and was deeply, bitterly disappointed. I then came to the stark realization that all the best audio video software is FOSS based: Audacity, Gimp, VLC, and more. I've given up on Windows based boxes even for AV and go with Ubuntu and an Aspire One netbook for the cloud based stuff. Goodbye 800 lb gorilla. I should have seen it coming when playing Gorilla.BAS on Dos 3.3. A game, I've been told Bill Gates coded and notated.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

hee hee!

hee hee

sound like Mobile Me

to me

Well, almost.

Now if only iPhone 3.0 will allow me to say "iWork on my iPhone"!?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Mmmm fluffing

Is there some course I need to take?

4. Goat Jam

A Title

"Services are seen as the ideal complement to this class of devices [netbooks] that are lacking in storage and processing power."

The first netbooks may have been lacking in these areas but ever since MS started coercing OEMs into replacing linux with Windows on netbooks the minimum specs have been raised by necessity to allow XP to run.

Consequently most current netbooks have spinning platter 160gb disk drives and the Atom processor is not that underpowered for the majority of tasks a general user might run.

Any improvements that may be gained by running office style apps on the cloud are more than negated by network lag anyway.

So, any online app that does not involve sifting through large amounts of data and performing complex calculations will see little to no benefit from being on the so called cloud so I really don't see the point of all this myself

5. Trevor
    Stop

Netbooks - o'rly?

"Services are seen as the ideal complement to this class of devices [netbooks] that are lacking in storage and processing power."

Currently running Windows7 on mine, using OO 3.0, Firefox, and even playing Quake 3 arena. Portal is a little slow and Quake 4 is unplayable (frame rate about 5fps), plays Unreal tournament (the first one) at 120 fps. It can also play FarCry on medium settings.

Also have a nice big spinning disk in mine too, so I'm not exactly lacking in space. In fact my little netbook is more powerful than my cheap laptop I bought last year.

So whats this about lacking in storage and processing power then? God knows what you would call my laptop....

6. Toastan Buttar
    Thumb Down

@mindbrane

"I then came to the stark realization that all the best audio video software is FOSS based:"

That'll be why the last mention of Linux in Sound on Sound magazine was 2004 ? For better or worse, Apple and MS have got the music world sewn up: Pro-Tools, Reason, Ableton Live, etc. etc.

7. Matt Siddall

dropbox

I don't see what this will do that dropbox doesn't...

p.s. Dropbox is actually very awesome. I use it on all of my PCs, and there's no easier way to make sure you always have access to the docs that you need. They even have version control built in and can deal with multiple people editing documents at the same time in a reasonable way...

8. Robert Harrison

online storage

Is all very well and good, but until the likes of Virgin Media wake up and realise that there is a legitimate reason for upload as well as download backing up anything over 100meg is still going to take ages. USB stick for me still.

9. Andus McCoatover

I'm missing something

<<Storage space is limited: 2Gb for free and 10Gb for $10 per month>>

Erm, about the 16Gig USB stick hanging on my keychain?? Doesn't cost $10/month. Neither does Google Docs. Or Asus EEEPC storage.

Oh yes, it's 16 GB, not Gb.

It's a beautiful day here in Finland. Not a Cloud in sight.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like