back to article Astronaut Twitters from orbit

Astronaut Mike Massimino has the dubious honour of being the first person to Twitter from space, having taken time from the space shuttle Atlantis STS-125 mission to the Hubble Space Telescope to share this tweet with mankind: From orbit: Launch was awesome!! I am feeling great, working hard, & enjoying the magnificent views …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B

Jeez

The extremes some people will go to get more followers than Ashton Kutcher, eh?

2. SuperTim
    Joke

A long time a go, far far away....

Red-5@Rebelalliance: Just found out who my dad is. I would chop my right hand off to find out who my sister is! Leia lookin sexy today.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Hmm

"rest assured that his tweets are sent via email to Johnson Space Center, which then posts them for him" -- then he's not really Twittering from orbit, is he, any more than I would be playing chess underwater if I was just shouting my moves up a long pipe. (Which I do regularly.)

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Dead Vulture

"In case you're concerned......"

Ok, exactly how is typing in a message and sending it to someone else to publish on a service less effort than typing the same message and sending it to the publishing service directly?

I bet that getting it entered on the ground has nothing to do with time saving for the astronaut and far more to do with the pesky "no signal" error on his phone which prevents him from SMSing Twatter himself.

5. DZ-Jay

You forgot...

Bowman_2010: OMG! It's fullof starz!!!1

CmdConnor@SkyNet: Todays the day! everyones excited! In 5mins I push the big red button. I rly hope it works.

PiedmontMD: Townsfolks just brought this thing in that fell from the sky. they've asked me to open it. I wonder what's inside. stay tuned...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More examples

Ensign_Paul:

Captain Kirk has finally asked me to join a landing party, wish me luck peeps!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Americans tax payer money at work...

Paying people to twitter...

Where do I sign?

8. Fred
    Stop

I may be being pedantic but ...

If Astro_Mike is sending updates via email to Earth and a person on Earth is entering his tweet for him, then Astro_Mike isn't the first person to send a tweet from space.

He may be the first person to have a message sent from space turned into a tweet and put on Twitter, but thats not the same thing is it?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wyndham@triffidnet

See you when I get out of hospital. Enjoy the light show tonight.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trigger Happy TV

He was also called on a mobile phone in space:

<Nokia Ringtone>

"HELLO!? WHAT!?

YEAH, I'M IN SPACE!

I'M IN SPACE!

NO, IT'S RUBBISH!

CIAO!"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor man's email

"rest assured that his tweets are sent via email to Johnson Space Center, which then posts them for him."

So, just as he thought then:

Google CEO Eric Schmidt downplayed Twitter's usefulness, calling it a "poor man's email system".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/05/facebook_mimics_twitter/

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or

News@BBC: WW3 strtn. iBois killin M$ luzrz. nixers to stoned to care. all coz twitter drove them over teh edge.

I. HATE. TWITTER.

They even got my wife. Stupid pointless wast of time. It's not people using it that I mind. Its when I go to the pub for a quiet drink with some friends and they have to tell everyone where they are going. ARRGGGGG

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: a long time ago, far far away

Red-October@Rebelalliance: Standing by

Simply-Red@Rebelalliance: Standing by

14. Rosco

One giant tweet for a man ...

... one giant twat for mankind?

15. Roger Jenkins
    Stop

Another possibilty

is that he had absolutely nothing to do with it. Maybe someone decided it was good PR to twit and did it for him.

16. Bod

Twitter in Space

"Bugger, I just broke the screw. Anyone got a spare for a Hubble access panel?"

and

"Really need a pee right now"

17. M
    Happy

lol

man_from_enemy_mine: I just met an enemy today. I might make him mine.

18. M
    Happy

T_recall

D_quaid: COHAAGEN!

19. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

Nah, you still got it wrong...

...the quote was "...one small tweet for _a_ man..."

That is all.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Twatter

JTKirk@SetiAlpha5 : KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

21. Andyman
    Happy

STII

JT_Kirk: KKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!

22. Ian Hunter
    Alert

Twitter:

Half way between twat and shitter.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

doug_quaid: getting ass to mars, considering divorce

dave_bowman: my god, it's full of stars

kris_kelvin: something funny happening here, missing the wife

zap_brannigan: i have made it with a woman!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Twitter TOS?

Did he leave his account logged in at Johnson?

Not having a twatter account I don't know exactly but handing out your password to someone else violates most agreements for online services.....

25. machinehead
    Pirate

Another example

Of the Fall of Civilization.

Twitter.

Of course, it could be useful after all, since most people can't come up with more than 140 characters of any real use.

If you need an example....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like