back to article iPod Nano revamp to see widescreen display?

Apple is said to be preparing to revamp its iPod Nano music player with a third-generation case design that not only introduces a new colour scheme but also sacrifices the gadget's skinny looks to add a video-friendly widescreen display. According to a 9to5Mac.com report, moles in China claim the new Nano will be offered in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Webster Phreaky

Apple has to revamp, the iPhone is a US FLOP!

Never-the-less, the whole iPud thing is passe and this won't save Apple with two huge flops in a row - Apple TV and iPhony

Hey Europeons, don't get sucked into the iPhony hype BS, 65 DOCUMENTED bugs and flaws. Stevie laid a whopper of a egg this time.

2. Rupert Stubbs

Yer what?

I somehow suspect that Mr Webster Phreaky is not part of Apple's target market... Having actually used one for a few hours, I can concur with the chap who blogged about the iPhone thus:

"A few things beautifully done beat many things done like crap."

Nuff said.

3. Sampler

RE: Yer what?

"A few things beautifully done beat many things done like crap."

So that will be the HTC range then :o)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone a failure? You are joking, right?

"Never-the-less, the whole iPud thing is passe and this won't save Apple with two huge flops in a row - Apple TV and iPhony"

You are joking, right?

To quote RoughlyDrafted (http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/B8B762FD-6CFF-4D56-8B92-6F1089A8E917.html):

"Apple sold 270,000 iPhones in its first day and a half of sales.

•Palm sold 500,000 Palm OS Treos in the first three months of 2007. That's less than twice as many units across 13 weeks, compared to Apple’s day and a half of iPhone sales.

•RIM sold 1,030,000 Blackberries in 90 days, less than four times as many phones as Apple’s day and a half.

•All of Microsoft's Windows Mobile licensees--including Palm's WinCE based Treos--added up to 1,510,000 units. In a sales period 45 times longer than Apple’s iPhone debut, that’s only 6 times as many phones."

5. Stuart Van Onselen

@Webster Phreaky

And this has to do with an article on the iPod, what, exactly?

6. Mark Fell-Crook

Apple TV a Flop?

Work's great for me, does exactly what I wanted.

7. jai

storage space

hmmm... 2gb nano isn't going to be large enough to hold both a reasonable amount of music and video. possibly they'll get rid of that and move the nano's to lower price points? maybe the 8gb gets replaced with a 16gb?

8. Ted Treen

Alter Ego unravelled

Webster Phreaky - you are Steve Ballmer and I claim my prize.

(Not the phenomenally successful, best-selling Zune, though)

9. Paul Dixon

i hope it has hard buttons

I hope the new generation of iPods keep the tactile buttons - it's so easy to change track / alter volume if you have your ipod in your pocket (and who wants to have one of those nasty, white remotes hanging about which shout "mug me"). Touch screens are all well and good on a mobile or a digital camera where you're usually looking at the device while using it... but for a music player, no way.

10. Iain

Not exactly 'nano'

Sure, this might be flash-based instead of having a hard drive, but making a device as wide as the 'full-size' iPod kind of loses its Nano-ness, no?

This just sounds like the latest in a whole series of "this one is the video iPod, honest" rumours. Quite apart from the fact that the current Nano can't even do Video.

11. Urs Troullie

You ever had a Mobile before?

What planet are you from? All my phones of the last 12 years have done nothing I wanted them to do, properly at least, and all of them, including my latest and greatest k800 are still buggy as hell, even in its x revision. The iPhone introduces at last a set of proper applications to the mobile market, do you expect software that is so much more complicated to suddenly be without bugs? And you can update your iPhone, when my service provider flashed my k800 because of freezing bugs, it went in for a week and came back worse.

12. Andy G

Half the surface area or half the front?

Because half the surface area could imply it's all screen on one side!

13. elder norm

@Webster Phreaky

Phreaky says, "Never-the-less, the whole iPud thing is passe and this won't save Apple with two huge flops in a row - Apple TV and iPhony".

I strongly suspect he is a paid MS shill. :-) Hmmm, I am seeing more and more of these "Hate all things Apple and for no stated reason" types. They just pop on to a site, complain and you never see them again. I wonder if they will end up with a defined title in the new Webster dictionary, on-line edition?? :-)

As far as new iPods, it will be interesting to see if Apple does come out with new iPods. While I think the new iPhones are great items, I am getting tired of hearing about them. I guess we need something new to wonder / complain about.

en

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhoney

The touch screen scrolling is a dream, BUT, its a hip-pod and I dont want it.

However the LG u990 is gonna get a test drive! 5mp & touch screen Mmmm...

15. Jeff

Consumer Choice

Webster- if you don't like Apple, then don't read the articles on them. I WISH my Nokia phone had only 65 errors. It has many more, as do just about every other mobile device out there. Luckily mobile viruses are still in their infancy.

In any event, I'm sure the iPhone has more than 65 errors. However, the point is that it's a device I would like to have and probably will in future. I was able to use one for a week, and it was great. I hope they can tweak the text input to make it easier.

I'm also an iPod fan, and iTunes fan, and the DRM issue doesn't bother me, even though I've spent quite a chunk of change on tunes. AppleTV? Don't own one, but it's a placeholder they could expand on if they choose- why not get the device out now when the volumes are low, learn the market segment better, and when iTunes has a broader (and HD) movie offering, they can come out with a better product based on lessons they have learned. It's called a strategic product, one not necessarily meant for profit at this point in time.

So, if Apple's paradigm doesn't work for you, then shut up and buy someone else's product instead of blasting the first thoughts that come into your head.

16. Ascylto

@Webster Phreaky

Did you know that WEBSTER PHREAKY is an anagram of TIRED ANTI-APPLE WANKER?

17. Steve Barnes

Reliability

This is all well and good, BUT what I want to know is will it now finally have a decent battery that doesn't become unusable right around the 12month mark (happened to me with 3 nanos) and doesn't crash on a very regular basis, like both the previous editions of Nanos?!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like