back to article Cops collar Russian punting dog dressed as lamb

Police in the Russian city of Orlov have detained a 50-year-old Kursk businessman en route to Moscow with a bootload of "dressed mutton" - actually 15 skinned dog carcasses destined for Moscow eateries. Officials from the Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Surveillance, aka Rosselkhoznadzor, said the mutt- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thefutureboy
    Coat

Russian Punting Dog?

Not heard of that breed...could be handy in these days of floods.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

An Apparent Question of Acceptable Form for Slaughter Fodder?

"He concluded: "It seems the deliveries of dog meat to Moscow are organized as a full production line - some people raise and slaughter dogs, others transport them to the capital. The police must track down this chain down to its end and expose all who take part in this hideous business.”"

Tell that to the chickens. To Give them False Hope?

3. Scott Broukell
    Joke

That explains how ....

when you buy a take-away in Moscow, the food obediently follows you all the way home.

(Mine's the one with the Winalot in the pockets).

4. Dan
    Paris Hilton

...otherwise they'd just be picking on the chicken

Strange world we live in, where eating one animal is seen as cruelty, yet it's fine to chomp down on sheep/cows/pigs (depending on religious beliefs).

5. GrahamT

These two should get together

A couple of years ago , some guy in Japan was passing off lambs as Poodles:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/26/ovine_poodle_scam/

6. John Bayly
    Coat

Is there evidence of cruelty?

Selling dog as lamb isn't something I can really defend, but how is rearing dogs to be slaughtered a "hideous business" when doing the same with lambs is ok?

Don't get me wrong, I like a nice slab of lamb or beef on my plate and whilst I wouldn't be too concerned about eating dog (I'm willing to try most things), I would want to tuck into my pet golden retriever. It's the reason we were never allowed to name animals on our farm (The one time we did, it ended up being Sunday roast).

Maybe this story is a little close to the bone for pet owners?

7. Eddie

Gets ready for a grilling...

"This hideous practice"??

Erm, what makes this more hideous than raising sheep, cows, pigs, chickens, llamas, buffalo, alligators, ostriches etc?

I've eaten horse in France - I suppose that makes me some sub-human monster?

People get all dewy eyed about the gambolling wee fluffy lambykins in the fields in spring, but later on they're perfectly happy to reach for the mint sauce.

I'm not saying that I'm totally sanguine about the practice, but as long as the husbandry procedures are not more unpleasant than practices for the rearing of the meat we think that we think that it's okay to eat, then I don't think that we should be overly censorious because it's a wee puppy.

All the best

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

no title

Why is eating dogs animal cruelty, but sheep just a normal part of the food chain? Vegetarian or omnivore, either is fine- but can we come up with some consistant view of what's acceptable to eat that's based on something more concrete than fluffiness?

9. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: ...otherwise they'd just be picking on the chicken

*deep breath*

I'm just going to agree with everything in this thread.

Yes, I agree. There's no case to be made for eating one kind of meat while eschewing others, not for any reason at all, ever.

Ah, that's better.

*cuddles dog*

10. Luis Ogando
    Coat

HOT DOG!!

Come on... Someone had to say it..

OK... I'll get my coat....

11. JP Sistenich
    Alert

Lamb as Poodles

That's why he had to sell dog, all the lambs had gone to Japan!

12. mike2R

Re: These two should get together

Sadly the sheep-sold-as-poodles story turned out ot be a hoax:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/poodlesheep.asp

13. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: no title

*headdesk*

If I had a quid for every time I've seen this argument limp around and around before falling over on this site, I could buy a shitload of battery hens.

If meat is being produced illegally, the first thing to go is going to be animal welfare. I don't care what people eat as long as they pay sufficient mind to that, and try and keep suffering to an absolute minimum. That's the issue as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm really not going to argue. I'm just going to sit here and be sickened and bored. Ta ra.

14. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Cut you slack?

Come on, you know your readers don't do slack! Just think of the alternative subtitles you could have used, such as:

"Dog chops? Mmmm, tastes like Chechen!"

"Russian Fridos roll over and play dead sheep."

/I know, but on the bright side it's almost lunchtime....

15. Mel Collins
    Linux

Big sharp pointy teeth

We in the west seem to draw the line more or less at carnivores. We don't eat animals if the animals themselves eat meat (as a species in general - you veggies can relax).

16. James H

Re: Big sharp pointy teeth

I believe the reason we tend not to eat those who eat others is because the taste tends to get a bit gamy. That being said... you got game? Most in the East find it an acceptable dish. Be that they have had less time in affluence or that they think it a delicacy... The more power to them.

Though, as mentioned, when a group resorts dog-napping or raising them in tiny cages, well, that deserves a good, swift kick to the bullocks!

17. Master Baker

How much meat could you get off a human?

I wouldn't mind eating a person - once to try. I would start with my old geography teacher. She was a moose so probably would last me for some weeks.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sub-title

--------------------------------

Regarding our rather snappy headline, we know mutton is not the same as lamb, but we're sure you'll cut us some slack on this one.

--------------------------------

Pffff - I would have cut you some slack except for the bootnote...

Title:

Cops collar Russian punting dog dressed as lamb

'... mutt dressed as lamb' surely?

maybe for the sub:

'doggone menu in Moscow restaurants'

That is all.

19. amanfromMars Silver badge

Killing Machines or is that Too Artificial AIReal Intelligence.

Is Man Self Sufficient in Dead Meat Supply but would rather Force Breed Live Animals for Feeding to Slaughter, is an Uncomfortable Pertinent Question?

20. Peyton
    Happy

OK PEOPLE THIS IS THE RULE

If it's not a pet, it's food.

Disclaimer: No purchase necessary. Definitions of pet may vary and do not apply to people. Offer not valid wherever meat-eaters are outnumbered or within 10 feet of Pamela Anderson.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it true...

...that people who eat dogs are barking?

22. DutchOven
    Thumb Up

Dogs danglies

I have not got any personal experience in this subject but someone once told me that corned beef sells rather more than expected in Korea.

The reason being that a couple of scooped teaspoons of corned beef can be used as substitute for dogs bollocks in certain delicacies. The taste and texture are apparently very similar once cooked.

Nothing to do with sheep. Sorry.

23. GrahamT
    Coat

I love dogs...

...but I couldn't eat a whole one.

24. Graham Bartlett

@GrahamT

You probably could if it was a Lhasa Apso. And a chihuahua barely makes a bun-ful. Not many people would complain either.

Come to that, as the owner of a pair of well-behaved cocker spaniels, I know of several poorly-trained dogs in our area which would be better off as barbecue than being left to run riot by their owners.

25. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

RE: Re: Big sharp pointy teeth

Nope, gamey taste ain't the problem, it's human pschology. Certain animals, mainly predators, we like to mentally associate with. We talk about feline grace, or dogged loyalty, even give royal connotations to the big cats such as lions. Pets such as cats and dogs get made family members and treated like children, but we'll quite happilly eat little lambies, especially if we are removed from the actual farming process. But what do we think of the poor herbivores like the sheep and cattle? Well, we describe mindless crowds as sheep or cattle, or call fat people pigs or cows (I know, pigs are omnivores, but most people don't). Nobody wants to associate with themselves or their traits with them, so killing and eating them is less of a problem. Many Arabs I have met are puzzled by the British objections to the Koreans eating dogs - though the Arabs themselves don't eat dogs, they don't treat them like family members as we do, and don't associate with them, and so see no reason to get as uptight with the Koreans as we do.

A while ago on the BBC there was one of those lion watching programs, and everything was fine until they showed what happens when buffalo find a lioncub litter and drive off the lioness. Cue dozens of complaints shocked that the Beeb showed the vengeful buffaloes goring and stamping the defenceless lioncubs to death in less than a minute of footage. Actually, you couldn't see much as it was filmed from a distance and the long grass hid any goriness. Of course, the same viewers hadn't complained of earlier and more graphic footage of lions hunting and killing buffalo calves and young gazelles, or of vultures, jackals and hyenas feasting on the left-overs. Why not? Well, because we like to associate with winners, and we like viewing the lions as powerful winners. Seeing little lions getting squished doesn't do much for our confidence in our self-image.

26. Trevor

@GrahamT

*sigh* Put your masks back on, Hex.

That said, most dogs I have had the pleasure of spending time with don't exactly seem to have much meat on them (%-wise) as compared to say...a cow. So you sort of have to wonder at the scale of this operation, if it feeds 50 restaurants. Hexadecimal "couldn't eat a whole one" or not, really, how many per day/week/month are we talking?

I think the numbers would shock people.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can eat dog, but avoid the liver.

I ate dog in Hong Kong, and it was delicious.

You don't eat the livers of carnivores, as they contain enough Vitamin D to give you an overdose. I forget which polar explorers made this mistake, but the Vitamin D had the effect of making their bones grow into the surrounding muscle, which was very painful. For a while.

28. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: You can eat dog, but avoid the liver.

Yes, yes, well done, you're terribly open-minded and daring. You do know they beat them to death, don't you?

29. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Re: mutton != lamb

When did you last see mutton on sale? When I was a lad, you could get scrag end of mutton for a nice stew, lamb to roast was much pricier. I'm not sure whether they've just renamed mutton (so we're still buying it, just at lamb prices) or if it's actually not sold any more.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like