back to article Barclays to lay off more tech staff

Barclays IT staff were shocked to receive an emailed warning today that more jobs are likely to be lost at the troubled department. The department lost 700 staff last year in a round of layoffs as part of a planned cut of 1,800 staff by 2011. Then in January Barclays laid off 400 people whose "roles and responsibilities are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Rife with it

"roles and responsibilities are unclear", plenty of that where I am and lots of "too many chiefs and not enough indians" as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Four hundred?

"Then in January Barclays laid off 400 people whose roles and responsibilities are unclear": err, sounds like it's the HR department they should be firing then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Typical

It's typical of most industries in these times that when the going gets bad, instead of dumping the dead wieght in the Human Remains departments or the overpaid and underworked middle management, they get rid of the underpaid and overworked support personnel.

I was recently laid off my last job as a System Support technician, the redundancy letter stated "Due to underperformance by the sales team we have decided we cannot maintain the back office team at it's present level".

That's right, because SALES couldn't get their shit togethor, the tech support team now consists of one guy who is expected to run the suport side 24/7.

Of course, none of the Sales drones lost their job.

Mine's the one with the P45 in the pocket.

4. Brutus
    Stop

Rightshore!?!

Could everyone please make it a matter of priority to ridicule anyone caught using the neologism 'rightshore' in anything other than a patently satirical situation!

5. pctechxp

Same old same old.

overmanaged department I work in is under review too so am currently ensuring my CV is up to date as I'll bet the management won't be for the chop.

So much for 6 years shift work

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rightshore.

Funny how when companies "rightshore" it always ends up being jobs leaving UK/EU/US (etc) to India/China/etc.

It's also funny how HR departments and management never get "rightshored". It's almost like the people who do the actual work are seen as comodities rather than people with actual lives, families etc.

7. Camilla Smythe

Re: Rightshore!?!

Too true. Another effort by glib management to 'hide' a meaning.

http://www.springer.com/computer/programming/book/978-3-540-77287-3

Hmm, apparently....

"Rightshore® - a registered trademark of Capgemini - is about organizing the distributed delivery process that embraces on-site, nearshore and offshore services."

and goes on to say...

"This book describes successful global delivery models utilizing industrialized methods to deliver SAP® projects from India."

Oh..... so it means offshoring to India. Glad I've cleared that one up for myself... Now then Messrs Barclays management I believe Messrs Capgemini management would like a quiet word in your ears about using one of their trademarks without permission or giving it proper recognition.

Oh..... you mean you had already asked!. They had! They are the people who will be helping you offshore your IT to India. SAP has the contract. Gosh Champers all around then.

8. Doug Glass
    Go

Typical Corporate Mentality

Shed those jobs that are seen as low value and a dime a dozen to replace. Usually starts in the clerical ranks, moves to IT and then to jobs that hurt even less to cut. Always has been this way and until such time as the Peter Principle is reversed, it always will be. Dilbert was right; Dilbert is always right.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Brutus

That was the one that that bought me here as well. Ah well, we know what this means don't we children.

10. Pete

hmm, got a telephone interview with BarCap tomorrow

Should be interesting

11. Andy Bright

Awesome

Is the government still telling you that there's an IT skills shortage in the UK, or have they finally got the message that industry doesn't concur with that point of view? This is why I don't want to come back. Not because Britain isn't a great place to live, but because there's no job security in the IT industry.

In the US it's even more funny. Industry itself will say that the reason they need to employ millions of immigrants on 1/2 your pay is because there aren't enough people with the required skills already in the country. Good job I'm an immigrant or I'd be in as much trouble here as I would be if I worked back home. Maybe if you're having trouble getting a job you should lie about your nationality on any applications you put in.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Pete

Don't worry - they're talking about Barclays IT - not Barclays Capital IT. I believe they're already finished their cull.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ohhh goody.

Doesn't seem to have slowed the pace of contractor hiring though.

Still, I fully expect the associated cost savings made by sacking herds of staff to will be passed on to the customers, I'll be writing and asking that the fees on my account are adjusted forthwith.

Paris for chair of the FSA, she'd do as good a job.

14. kain preacher

@Andy Bright

One problem with that. They will expect you to work a 60 week with 40 pay. Hire an H1b visa and you control them. Oh complain, you're deported . That's the real reason why companys say Americans won t work for them. H1b visa worker means you can fuck them in the ass with rusty dildo. When they complain that you are using any lube, you break out out the KY with sand and metal shavings.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Barclays pre-tax profits up 15%

Banking giant Barclays posted a 15% rise in pre-tax profits to £1.37bn on Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8037233.stm

To celebrate, they announced 700 redundancies in 2009, with 1800 job cuts by 2011. Is this just to hide the fact they will be doing more outsourcing of jobs?

16. Steve W

Efficiencies ?

They want to make the department more efficient, but it takes 3 of them to put together one email? Mind you, it is a bank so they probably got one person to write the details and two people to work out how much to charge the recipients.

17. Simon Millard

Bunch of Clowns

I used to work for "Barclays Technical Services" and I had two managers! One to manage my workload and the other for *cough* pastoral care - wtf!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

"This book describes successful global delivery models utilizing industrialized methods to deliver SAP® projects from India"

Must be a very thin book. Successful SAP project deliveries are rarer than a poor MP.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Computers run themselves nowadays

who needs IT staff.

This topic is closed for new posts.