back to article Atlantis blasts off for final Hubble repair job

After nearly seven years of delays, NASA's fifth and final servicing mission to the Hubble Space Telescope lifted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida at 2:01 EDT (18:01 GMT) today. The crew aboard space shuttle Atlantis mission STS-125 are scheduled to perform a series of five spacewalks beginning Thursday, giving the aging space …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Herschel and Planck

The ESA's Herschel and Planck observatories are due to launch on Thursday.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Planck/index.html

2. Andy Barber
    Go

Good old 80486's

Upgrade? Yet they still think the ageing 80486's they use are up to the job then? What O/S do they use, it won't be Windows for Hubble!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bless you, NASA

Please keep one of my favorite telescopes in operation as long as practical. For fricking once, we get our money's worth for our taxes!

As they say, MORE PICCIES! I believe.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

RE: Good old 80486's

I think they are using Windows 7 starter edition (beta)

Seriously though, I hope they patch it up good and proper theres life in the old bird yet.

5. Tony

Astro_mike

I'm a sad,sad person - I signed up to twitter, then found that one of the astonauts has been posting tweets about his preparation for the mission. It'e been really quite fascinating and he has given a really good insight into what's been going on.

He has said that he is going to try to send some more from up there.....

Vision of someone floating around shouting into a mobile "I'm on the shuttle - no, I said I'm ON THE SHUTTLE".

Bet he's not using Vodafone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like