back to article Yahoo! co-founder takes open road against Google

Big, purple, and old, the Yahoo! bus parked outside this weekend's Open Hack Day venue in London looked like a survivor from a bygone era. So too, Yahoo!? Yahoo! remains a web giant, the second most visited web destination after Google, according to both comScore and Alexa, and second only to Google in search engine share. On …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Ya who?

The quoted number sources just show how bollocks stats can be.

The "unique visitor" count is useless. It does not show usage patterns at all. If I hit Google 5000 times and Yahoo once, then thy both score 1 "unique visitor" point.

Ranking is also a bollocks measure, only actual numbers count. The real number is in the Nielsen report: Google out searches Yahoo 4:1. Yahoo hardly "came second". You don't get an Olympic silver medal for taking 4 times as long as the winner to run the 100m dash.

What is more important is the trend. Google is getting bigger and Yahoo is getting smaller.

2. Andy Barber
    Heart

Yahoo!

I've been Yahoo! since Jan/1995. I have naturally tried the other snake-medicine merchants but Yahoo! rocks! (Sorry only five exclamation marks!

3. Antony C. Roberts
    Alert

Yahoo! co-founder! takes! open! road! against! Google! surely?

Tsk, tsk. Standards slipping over there at vulture central. Surely any Yahoo! headline! should! include! an! exclamation! mark! at! the! end! of! every! word!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There should be a use Yahoo! week

just to keep old faithful ticking along.

It is actually quite a good search engine, you often get what you are looking for.

Google is good, but need to keep it on it's toes, too much Google love and well they may start slipping.

5. Mark SPLINTER
    Alert

screenscraping

screenscraping is big i tell you. mark my words. no point in even making a front end for your website any more, just make a data feed and let people do what they want with it. "skip intro" has been taken to the next logical step.

6. Jay Jaffa
    Linux

Developers! Develpers! Developers!

Yahoo! lost the momentum a long time ago. What's important for success with a Cloud intitiative such as theirs is the support of developers - which ain't gonna happen. There's too many APIs out there and google is the clear mind-set leader. Same in the handset space - anyone tried developing for Android - so slick it's suggestive that it's likely to be the Operating system of the near future - Handset and PC alike. iPhone, whilst have a nice platform on the iPhone, haven't learnt the lessons of the 1980s - developer access is too closed to work.

7. Robin

Lack of integration hurts Yahoo

I think one issue with Yahoo is that it has a lot of high quality services (Flickr, Delicious, YUI, Search, Mail) but somehow the integration (beyond a common login) just isn't there. It's kind of strange because they acquired some really popular apps such as Delicious, but don't seem to have a strategy for integrating that into it's other services. In fact go to the Delicious homepage and you'd struggle to realise it is run by Yahoo. With Google on the otherhand you are never more than about 3 clicks away from any of its services.

I've been using Yahoo Mail since 1997, yet that is about the only Yahoo service I use in earnest. It's pretty much Google for everything else, eventhough Yahoo offers the same sort of products.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yahoo! hasn't tried in years.

Yahoo! had two ideas, search and email. They've squandered both.

As soon as Facebook and 'disruptive' enters the conversation I hear fear.

Facebook is a cul-de-sac, and if they had anything disruptive they'd be monetizing it now.

The only good thing about Yahoo! is using additional email addresses to accumulate spam, which are invariably spammed by Yahoo! themselves.

Yahoo! is TRYING to fail. Has been for years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like