back to article Swedish chopper chief demands fireproof bras

A Swedish chopper fleet commander has demanded that his female pilots be granted the same degree of fireproofing enjoyed by their male counterparts - in the form of flameproof bras. Group Captain Micael Byden insisted the existing underwear issued to the flygirls simply isn't up to the standard enjoyed by the boys. He told …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

(title huh?)

no apparent IT angle, but swedisch knockers and choppers. im happy ;)

*fill in obvious hat and coat joke please*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Cheap shot, but...

If they are worried about their bras catching fire, why not go without.....sure many of the male pilots wouldn't object.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Swedish female chopper pilots

I think I've got that film on DVD although I'm fairly sure they weren't wearing mens undies, in fact, neither were the men..

Paris, my favourite chopper pilot

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

no pics? :(

bah

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Do blokes get flameproof undies then?

...." initial reports indicate all that could be recovered from the smouldering wreckage was a female upper torso and a male crotch".....

ewwww

6. Dave Bell

Setting off male stereotypes.

Obviously some standard fabrics are just not safe.

There are natural fibres, and there are purpose-made fire-resistant synthetics.

You really don't want nylon melting onto your skin.

7. Simon Harris
    Flame

The IT angle

I guess they won't be asking the bods from The IT Crowd for their technical assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCLGQn5MUk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEemQeInjE

8. Simon B
    Alert

WTF causes such heat so close when u fly a plane? The control stick??!!

"You can not have anything close to the body that can be set alight when you are flying." WTF would generate such heat when you are supposed to be F L Y I N G ??? You're not supposed to be having a ciggie or cooking on your portable gas stove, get flying!!

9. Dave

Inside Knowledge

Perhaps the CO is married to one of the female pilots, or is dating (or has dated) one of them? In that case he might have first-hand knowledge of what they wear under the uniform.

10. Andrew Fraser
    Coat

Silk ?

I remember reading somewhere that silk had very good anti fire properties, as well as a very high tensile strength, hence why they used it in parachutes back in the day?

So maybe we can get the pilots into some new silky underthings, and prehaps have a calender, and model show, to offset the cost to the goverenment?

Mines the one with the Victoria's secret catalouge in the pocket..

11. Ian McNee
    Black Helicopters

Bye-line trick missed Lester?

Red-hot Swedish chopper chicks knicks not up to the jub?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh?

@Simon: right, and why wear a helmet? You're not supposed to be boxing.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Dave Bell

That's no lie. I can tell you from personal experience that hot, burning plastic plays hell with skin.

Me, I'm hoping they got their birthday suits on somewhere under that uniform.

14. David Hayes

@Simon

It isn't so much that a fire is a constant threat, but more that if one does happen, you need the clothing to protect your body for long enough that you can either get the fire undercontrol, or you can land the chopper. The final purpose of fire resistant clothing of all types is to minimise any injury to the wearer caused by the clothing itself. A fire in the cockpit is always going to be a painful thing, but if you just get straightforward burns, it's better than burns with melted nylon embedded deep in the skin!

15. elderlybloke
    Paris Hilton

Fire hazard of long ago

When I did my CMT service in the RNZAF , we were told about the problem of nylon melting into skin and making burns much worse.

The instructors all wore nylon scarfs (may have been more hidden nylon.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like