back to article EU calls for tougher data laws

European Commissioner Viviane Reding said she will push member states to adopt a proper data breach notification law - something the Information Commissioner in the UK has failed to get. Such a law would force businesses to tell people if their private data has been lost or stolen. Data controllers in the UK have no obligation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Will not work

The amount of data breaches that there are.

And the number that are undetected are huge

There would be more letters about data breaches in the post than there is junk mail

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

more and more i want this womans babies

... Ms Redding seems to be the only person in all of Europe who has any concern for us individuals who unfortunately for us are not a big corporation so cannot get any consideration from our own government for hire.

3. Ash
    Thumb Up

I wonder...

... if "Europe" is accepting immigrants. I don't want to be part of any one nation, just the whole place.

These folk sound like they actually have their head screwed on.

4. Roger Heathcote

Would that mean...

... Phorm and BT would have to send everyone they've been spying on a letter?

5. William
    Thumb Up

A new icon?

I think el Reg should introduce an icon with Viviane Reding on it. I think she is the best thing to come out of the European Commission.

6. Luther Blissett

Oops there go the UK database cost projections

A 25% additional contingency in the budget should do it for nu labour tho. About half of that for sending out notifications of data breaches, the rest for trying to plug the leaks. As that will be a huge enterprise I suggest everyone involved is issued with an 88p bath plug as a visual icon (sort of like a mission statement, but funnier) to remind them why they're all there.

7. Tom Chiverton

force business ?

What about forcing governments ?

8. Matthew Brown
    Go

Well, if the ICO won't do it

This is the only option left for proper data protection.

9. psychochief
    Thumb Up

@more and more i want this womans babies O_o

wash your mouth out with domestos jeremy !!!!! do you mind you bounder sir, she's allready spoken for, but out pal grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr O_O

go go go Viv, stick it up um my dear lol :O)

10. Mike Shepherd
    Unhappy

Go EC!

Since uk.gov views citizens as little more than a barrier to its master plans, it falls again to the EC to protect our interests.

11. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Joke

how to store data in a sieve

step 1: freeze the data collection.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like