back to article Dell dives as Western Europe PC market stagnates

PC sales in the UK went into reverse in the first quarter with surging netbook shipments as the bottom fell out of the professional market. Latest figures from Gartner show the UK's decline came amidst marginal growth in the Western European PC market, with total shipments growing 0.7 per cent year on year to 15.3 million …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

If I had a crystal ball

If I had a crystal ball I'd predict that once every UK household that wanted a PC had at least one PC, and that the PC(s) did everything they needed it/them to do, and that the main software vendors managed to really p everyone off through unwanted upgrades and constant security issues...

I'd predict that UK sales of PC hardware and OEM software would sink like a stone.

I'd predict that would be round about now.

My name is Gartner, where's my £1000/column inch.

2. vegister
    Thumb Down

maybe dell shouldn't make it so hard to buy a pc

for example, try buying a linux pc from www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu ...good luck!

3. Stephen

Recession or price Hike?

Last year dell put their prices up by 20% followed by another 10% later in the year. No wonder they struggle.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Europe first, USA next?

Dell's continuing to lose its grip and it doesn't seem to know what to do to turn the ship around.

Too many strategic mistakes, too many disgruntled customers, too many org changes. With the recent layoffs that camel's back is looking very wobbly...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Perhaps....

The market is saturated? That is what those numbers mean to me at least.... Maybe they should look east, where at lest 2/3 of the worlds population is? Make them a bit cheaper so they can be afforded by the average Indian / Chinese bloke, and they can sell Millions, even billions over a few years.

@vegister

They make what sells well, given that Windows is installed on over 85% of computers, they know who to sell to. Besides, you Linux blokes tend to state that you are much smarter than most Windows users, prove it by installing you own OS and finding drivers for it.

6. Mark Aggleton
    Thumb Down

@Stephen

Exchange rate? What was $2/£1 is now $1.50/£1

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like