back to article Ubuntu unplugs compromised servers

Ubuntu had to shut down five of its eight production servers last week after realising the poorly maintained systems were compromised to such an extent they had become a source of attacks against other systems. The servers were sponsored by Canonical but hosted by the community. The systems were running an old unsupported …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Miles

Proof, if proof is needed

That computer security is as much a user issue as it is an OS one

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just goes to show

No matter what OS you run, if you don't keep it up to date, then it's a risk to everyone else.

Of course they should of known better.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux

...where you can get a Klingon UI, play an mp3 backwards, or install seventeen window managers. I love it, but jeez, talk about priorities....

4. webdude

you're Fired!

Congratulations!

for not doing your job you are fired!

no excuse.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buy how could this be?

But any OS besides MS Windows is super special awesome safe and never has security problems or viruses ever.

Could the Linux lot be telling fibs? Whatever next, a virus on a Mac?

6. Alex Bird

Er...

I could be wrong here, but aren't these just the community servers which provide the package support for ancient releases that Canonical have stopped supporting at all. Handy sometimes, but not for regular use.

When you select packages from these servers, you get warned thoroughly that the files might not be safe.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Whatever next, a virus on a Mac?

Strangely LittleSnitch kept poping up a few days ago saying SMTP wanted to access some servers. No idea why as this is a desktop Mac and I don't run my own SMTP server.......

8. scot stockwell

@ "Buy how could this be?"

Ha Ha! v funny.

Try reading it again and you will see that the cause is a HARDWARE issue. You can't upgrade the software if the hardware isn't supported, this applies to M$ as well!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scot Stockwell

"Try reading it again and you will see that the cause is a HARDWARE issue. You can't upgrade the software if the hardware isn't supported, this applies to M$ as well!"

But any OS besides Windows is super special awesome and never needs patches/updates ever. Everyone knows that its only MS that is not secure and has viruses/hackers.

Thats what the Mac and *nix lot have been telling us for years. How useless MS was and how secure *nix was.....

Were we being lied to?

10. David S

@anon

"But any OS besides Windows is super special awesome and never needs patches/updates ever. Everyone knows that its only MS that is not secure and has viruses/hackers.

Thats what the Mac and *nix lot have been telling us for years. How useless MS was and how secure *nix was.....

Were we being lied to?"

If you were being told that and believed it, then you were being gullible. If you seriously claim to have believed it, then I fear you may be being disingenuous. And just the slightest bit sarcastic, to boot...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Excuse!

One thing that always pisses me off is when a community is left in charge of something, a community generally full of know-halves and know-bits, with login details being "communityised" to get someone know knows the next bit involved. This is one of the greatest issue with the ubuntu community, they simply can't be trusted to do the kind of management of servers that proper techies like myself have been doing for years, bite the biscuit, hire a community server manager who can do the job and feel safe in the security of having someone who knows what they're doing at the helm.

Giving up on it because of hardware issues is the worst excuse in the world, especially when canonical give the ubuntu community a lot of financial support and could easily spring for some new hardware. Not only that but I can't see why any hardware 3+ years old would be broken now if it wasn't then. The linux kernel gets more drivers, not fewer, it supports more hardware every release, not less, the support gets better and better for hardware over time.. Unlike microsoft :P

Anon - I don't want to get my ass raped by the ubuntu community

This topic is closed for new posts.