back to article Crimestoppers benefits from recession-hit grasses

Snitching hotline Crimestoppers has reported it's on a bit of a roll purging the UK's streets of crims - thanks to boracic citizens increasingly willing to grass for cash. According to the Times, reward payments for crimebusting tip-offs in 2008-09 hit £35,000 - "the highest recorded payout in 11 years and is topped only by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

No Title

"A less successful attempt to swell the personal coffers came from one sharp-eyed citizen who insisted he'd seen Osama bin Laden coming out of Tesco....."

Ha, a more credible bit of evidence than the WMD's in Iraq, and hey, we handed the guys "reporting" this a few billion......

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Short month

Hands up who else is now sitting there musing over what they can report to Crimestoppers in order to trouser a useful little bonus...?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"boracic" citizens ?!

Well, you learn something knew every day. I was about to question your spelling of "brassic", but now I know something I didn't about 18th-century medical dressings. Thank you, El Reg / Google / Urban Dictionary / Wikipedia!

[bet you never thought anyone actually does any research before posting their comments!]

4. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "boracic" citizens ?!

Thank you, AC, this makes me happy. Also, more inclined to smite anyone who posts spelling sneeriness before checking. You have been warned.

5. Richard

You've got to wonder about what serious means

If the payouts were exclusively for the murders then that's not even hitting £500 per informant. Somehow I suspect there were a few tips on rapes, assaults, etc in the mix so it doesn't really say much for the expected return.

Should Crimestoppers have an asterisked "typical payout £50. Terms and conditions apply. Turning yourself in may put your freedom at risk." at the bottom of their ads?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ brassic ac

"Well, you learn something KNEW every day". You've certainly got some brass trying to pick up El Reg on their spelling. What else is NEW?

Nothing new about our heroine.

This topic is closed for new posts.