back to article Boy Scouts to model for UK ID checks

The Scouts are prepared to help the Identity and Passport Service design a model procedure for checking people's identities against the ID database. A pilot in June will help the IPS decide how to incorporate passports and ID cards into the identity checking process used by authorised agents of the Criminal Records Bureau, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"dib dib dibs"[sic]

Surely you mean "DYB DYB DYBs"!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scoutings abusing the system though.

Well what a surprise, Scout assoc. has a 'policy' and advice, but no fixed rule (thus a get out clause), that repeated CRB checking EXISTING adult leaders is 'best practice'.

CRB is meant as a recruitment check, not for on going checks, I suppose the commercial users should know that the Scout assoc. is breaking the rules, if not the law, by repeat checking, and its costing THEM money as the Scout Assoc. has free checking, being a charity, and that has to be paid for by somebody!

3. boardboy

Actually.....

The Scout Association is a MIXED organisation. Young people are both male and female. We stopped doing dyb dyb dyb and calling ourselves Boy Scouts in the Sixties !!!

The previous poster clearly has a total misunderstanding of what CRB checks are there to do. Protect young people!

Whilst I personally totally disagree with ID cards, if they do come in then by using the Scouts system as a trial, then surely it is a positive move, to try and improve the system.

The Scout Association provides fantastic opprtunities for 500,000 members. Internationally, the Scout Movement have over 28 million young people enjoying the benefits of Scouting across 216 countries.

2007 is our Centenary year, you can read more about Scouting at http://www.scouts.org.uk

4. Hiraeth

Scouting is for boys AND girls!

As the previous comment says - Scouting has been fully co-educational since 1st January 2007, however we've had girls in Scouts as far back as the 1960's.

I'd also like to add that I'm a Scout and I've never heard anyone say Dyb Dyb Dyb and I've been around for 13 years!

CRB checks are important so that we keep young people safe!

Scouting is celebrating it's centenary this year and we're still going strong - we're giving young people the opportunity to have fun and adventure in a safe environment.

With the World Scout Jamboree (40,000 Scouts from 155 countries) being held in Hylands Park, Essex - young people from across the UK will live with people of different cultures and faiths in the name of peace.

Scouting is amazing, it offers new opportunities to young people - so please don't tar the Scouting of today with the old brush of thirty years ago Mr Ballard!

Find out more at www.scouts.org.uk.

Thanks!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually?

"The previous poster clearly has a total misunderstanding of what CRB checks are there to do. Protect young people!"

Oh I understand alright, working in education, but teachers only get CRB'd when recruited, no repeat checking, its just TOO expensive (I wonder why?) to even do retrospective on those in post prior to the CRB starting.

Here's one for you, IF Scouting considers the CRB to be so important that repeat checking is required, why don't they PAY for it??? Gilwell is all about big money and commercail opertunities now, so why not?

6. Simon Millard

Scouts and change of appointment

Most of the recent cases of abuse are by those people who have got valid CRB's but have not been caught.

If I change my role, current a Beaver Scout Leader to, for example, a Cub Scout Leader, then, not only will I need to apply for a new warrant, I would also need to be re-CRB'd.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Change of appointment?

That throws up an interesting situation, having been CRB'd would it be classed as a significant change of post equal to new recruitment?

Scouting I gather doesn't allow for 'portable' CRB checks, so will it mean for every role/post a person undertakes they need a seperate CRB, and if so who pays for them?

"Most of the recent cases of abuse are by those people who have got valid CRB's but have not been caught." ah now that interesting, so who now thinks a CRB check actually makes a difference to the reality here, "s/he's been CRB'd so they must be OK and when the next CRB comes back clear as no-ones bothered to act, 'well they were CRB'd' will be the claim when something actually turns up wrong", as against "s/he was checked when recruited and like ALL working with vunerable people should be constantly under review by their peers and ANY issues should be followed up, not left". The CRB check is valid only at the moment it is performed, you cannot 'hold' a valid CRB, just like an MOT on a vehicle.

Then there's the question, what does Scouting do to protect those members who older, but not adult, members of the organisation, target for abuse, both physical and sexual?

Its not just an adult/child issue, sometimes its a child/child issue too!

This topic is closed for new posts.