back to article Planned Wii production boost blocked?

Nintendo may not be able to boost Wii production as planned, it has been alleged - and it's all thanks to the industry-wide components shortage that appears to be hindering notebook production. Unnamed Taiwanese component makers today told DigiTimes that Nintendo has been forced to delay its plan to ramp up Wii output, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have to wait longer

Hmm, I hope this doesn't delay their entry into other countries. We've been waiting (semi)patiently for the Wii to be released locally - looks like this might either delay the release, or mean that even more limited stocks will be available :(

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shortage of fun in the world

The Wii uses more fun than the other consoles, and there's a worldwide shortage of fun so they can't make enough consoles.

XBox360 production is reported to be unaffected.

(Ducks to avoid projectiles thrown by XBOX360 fans).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunate

Never mind - if the shortage is industry wide then it means that Sony and Microsoft will be unable to get their components too - that is if they are using the same source.

Unlikely - but the shortage would not be industry wide otherwise, would it?

4. Chris Morrison

Where do you live!?

Do you live on the moon? Has the Wii honestly not been launched eveerywhere in the world yet? That's amazing if it's the case!

Chris

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The xbox360 is not affected...

because it uses plain old and cheap desktop components, while the wii requires more expensive laptop parts. Just look at the difference in size between the two. However the ps3 also uses laptop parts, but it's uneffected too because they can't even sell the already shipped stock.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No shortage in Ireland...

..because I work in a small enough music shop, and we have three of them. There are many other branches of our store alone, and plenty of other music/game shop chains...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not worldwide

@Chris: actually there are many countries that the Wii hasn't been launched in yet... I'm in South Africa, and we're hoping that it will be launched here next month, but there's been no announcement yet.

Some people are doing direct imports, but it works out a bit more expensive both for the console and the games - and then you run into the region coding issues on the games as well, once it is officially launched here.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No shortage in the Netherlands either...

It's been possible to get a Wii here (without pre-ordering) for a couple of months now.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: shortage of fun.

You don't need to duck flying projectiles from Xbox owners, nobody in the real world ever got hurt by having virtual pixels lobbed at them. A flying Wiimote though, that's a different story.

Wii owners not only have more fun, they're more dangerous to piss off as well :-)

TeeCee

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wii not worldwide

I was in Bangalore last week, I could buy a PS3 for 35,000 Rupees (about £440), I saw an XBOX 360 for sale but did not see a Wii for sale. Of course, I'm sure people are importing them....

It would be interesting to know exactly what components are in short supply, the Wii does not have BluRay, I wonder if it's the PowerPC cores as these are used in the Wii, PS3 and XBOX...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like