back to article Star Trek Klingon lingo hits cutting room floor

The Trekosphere has got itself into a bit of a tizz over the culling of the Klingon lingo from the forthcoming Star Trek movie. According to SCI FI Wire, co-writer Alex Kurtzman broke the terrible news on Sunday when he confirmed: "We actually had a sequence that ended up getting cut from the movie that took place on Rura …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Birth scene

Never mind the birth sceen, how about the conception scene!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Dor-sho-gha

Well what would expect from a team of P'tach editors.

Mines the one with the bat'leth in the pocket

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Losing the nerd facor

One of the things that used to make me cringe about Star Trek was people speaking Klingon. I don't mind the occasional word or phrase such as the shot of a captain shouting 'fire' in Klingon, but when I hear them actually speaking the language I the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I feel embarrased.

So reading this news has made it slightly more likely that I'll go and see it, though not for the first month of its release as I don't want to be sat in a crowd of nerds dressed as Vulcans and Klingons cheering at every scene.

Still, hunger and rabid attack dogs snapping at my flesh wouldn't make me sit through a minute of Star Wars. It's like Michael Jackson in space...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

ahh Klingon

a language seemingly so complex that the universal translators, which effortlessly translate every other language in the known universe into english, just seem to give up when even the smallest hint of Klingon is uttered.

mines the furry one with the Bat'leth strapped to it

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gone are the days

Gone are the days when DVD extras meant scenes shot from different angles, or merging of two into one... now DVD extras and deleted scenes are filmed with full cinematography, and advertised as missing in order to increase revenue sales. Ho hum.

Directors cuts can be interesting especially when studio big-wigs demand scene changes. But now it passed through to the other side of just another money making exercise.

6. Martin Lyne

Karplah

Q'plah!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I don't believe any of it

Without the playmobil version with Optimus in the lead role.

even paris knows you have to cut some scenes...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but what about the geology?

I've seen quite a few "flat irons" as in the background of the picture, where strata have been exposed and weathered. However, on the bits of planet Earth I've seen, they all point in the same direction. Does perhaps the sharpening effect that works on Vulcan ears work also on plain old hills?

9. jai

re: Losing the nerd facor

ODFO

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Put it back

I think the scene should be put back and everyone has to speak Klingon through the entire film, making at least one reference to the series or previous films every minute, with Welsh subtitles.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Nerdburglars 2.0 (AKA, Gene Hunt wouldn't watch it)

I have absolutely no idea what ODFO means. See what I mean about nerds? They spout acronyms and funny terms (and the saddest nerds even talk Klingon in the real world) and then get cross when normal people don't understand their highly exclusive mutterings.

Like I said, hearing people speak Klingon in Star Trek is the fourth most cring-worthy thing I've ever sat through. The third is Doctor Who talking to the rhinos in actual rhino. The second is nerds outside of Star Trek (ie, the real world, my son) talking Klingon, and the top spot goes to Star Wars/Michael Jackson (which is basically the same thing). It makes my gums retract in utter shame just seeing it in the TV listings.

Cutting the Klingon gobbledygook isn't just about selling more DVDs, it's a win-win thing: By cutting it from the film they ensure more normal people go and see the film because the word-of-mouth of early cinema goers won't put others off. Let's face it, if nerds alone were enough to sustain Star Trek, it wouldn't have been cancelled (how much did they raise world-wide for a new series in the end? $3000 or sommat?) and the last film wouldn't have been the proverbial USS Turkey crashing into the planet Dirtbag after its dilithium crystal was all smoked up by some drug crazed nerd from Stains talking Klingon off his tits on goofballs and whackballs.

But by putting the spaceman mumbo-jumbo back in the Bluray wotsit, they ensure all the nerds leave the house (almost certainly for only the first time since going to watch the film at the cinema) and blow yet more money on it just to see 30 seconds of pointless footage that adds nothing to the narrative.

Ikh poff moh foff weee yang plaow ukki bop plang tich!

12. Ed
    Thumb Up

@Anonymous Coward

"a language seemingly so complex that the universal translators, which effortlessly translate every other language in the known universe into english, just seem to give up when even the smallest hint of Klingon is uttered."

Phew thought I was the only one who noticed that

13. Steve
    Boffin

@AC-Nerdburglars 2.0 (AKA, Gene Hunt wouldn't watch it)

The poster who said ODFO was being a bit rude. I mean, he could have said PFO, CYPFO, or even WYMFO.

Manners cost nothing. At least he didn't tell you to FOAD

14. Mark

Language? What about the History?

Won't anyone complain about the revisionist history of being presented? Kirk and Spock did not team up in their youth. The Enterprise crew was not always together. I won't pay to see this abomination. I'll watch someone else's bootleg...maybe

15. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Never mind the Klingon

Because from the picture the birth clearly involves tripe of some kind.

16. David S

@AC (Nerdburglars 2.0 (AKA, Gene Hunt wouldn't watch it) )

Very funny. Speaking for myself, I'm pretty agnostic regarding whether Klingon should or shouldn't be l;eft in just so's the sad types who studied it like it was real get to show off their understanding. I'm the same watching Die Hard (Alan Rickman's accent isn't great) but at least the language I show off about is a real one spoken by real people...

Still, possibly because it wouldn't bother me either way, I can't quite understand anyone holding strong feelings one way or t'other. I'll end up watching the movie, no doubt, but I'll leave it for a week or two to let the hardcore Klingon kontingent have their fun...

I liked your last line, by the way. You didn't say anything about being fluent in Ewok...

17. Chris Hunt

Huh?

> Star Wars/Michael Jackson (which is basically the same thing).

If you've never seen Star Wars, how would you know?

And, more important, what the blithering heck do you mean? How can a series of six feature films of variable quality be "the same thing" as a mostly-plastic pop star accused of kiddy fiddling?

The force has been with them, I suppose.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Go

If you're that bothered ...

If you're that bothered on missing out on hearing a bit of Klingon, then head over to Liverpool. The native tongue is a bit higher-pitched but sounds similar enough!

This topic is closed for new posts.