back to article QLogic rumored as EMC takeover target

With only two companies in the world who make host adapters for networking servers to external storage - and one of them trying to shake off a hostile takeover - it is no surprise that the other one is rumored to be the target for a takeover too. Barron's, the offshoot of the Wall Street Journal that used to be a weekly paper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

stingy but not that stingy.

"Emulex has a market capitalization of $862.6bn as we go to press"

I think that should be a few orders of magnitute lower, yahoo puts it at $866.72 million right now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

potential buyers

Oracle ...... just for the hell of it. Sorry, I mean, to add to the Sun Storage proposition

Cisco ..... just to annoy everyone else and seize another part of the market

IBM .. to stop anyone else doing it

EMC .. ditto

HP ... ditto

Qlogic .... to really really upset the antitrust police

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are three FC host card vendors

Brocade also makes Fibre Channel host bus adapter cards.

It would make more sense for EMC to buy Emulex, which only makes FC HBAs and embedded FC switches for storage arrays. QLogic also makes FC switches which target the small and medium enterprises, as well as HPC focused InfiniBand switches.

I would not be surprised for Juniper to look at QLogic. IBM might be a player, since QLogic makes FC blade switches for IBM. Another potential would be for QLogic to acquire another company, especially one with Ethernet expertise. Blade Network Technologies and QLogic have similar business models.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Only two cmpanies making host adapters?

Please do your research next time.

There are three

- QLogic

- Emulex

- Brocade

This topic is closed for new posts.