back to article Hacker behind P2P botnet gets no jail time

A hacker who confessed he created one of the world's first botnets to use peer-to-peer technology won't spend any time in prison because of the assistance he's provided to prosecutors. Jason Michael Milmont, 20, of Cheyenne, Wyoming, was sentenced on Tuesday to five years of supervised probation and a year of home confinement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris C

Way to go!

Way to go, gov! That'll most definitely be a deterrent to this individual and to others who may be thinking of doing the same thing. Remember, kiddies: Don't create a botnet, DDOS websites, use what were most likely stolen credit card (numbers) to purchase stuff and have that stuff shipped to vacant addresses. In short, don't do bad things. If you do, you'll be told to not do it again. You don't want that to happen, do you? If you do something really bad, we might even give you a stern look. And you know there's no recovering from that.

And since when does creating a botnet, even using P2P and AIM as the control channel, constitute "talent"? Sure, it's a level above script kiddie, but hardly difficult. All it takes is a bit of planning. Why is it that the people (specifically kids) who do illegal things with computers are rewarded while those with real talent who stay on the right side of the law are ignored? I know that ti's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, but that still doesn't make it right.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

how did he HELP the authoritys???

So what was it actually did to HELP then?????

3. Jason DePriest
    Thumb Up

Helping the authorities

I'm pretty sure that means naming names and selling out some bigger fish.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Chris C

I was going to rant about how those of us who stay on the right side of the law get shit on by shitty managers etc. whilst those who break the law get rewarded, but you got there first.

+1

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like