back to article Koreans cook up glow-in-the-dark beagles

South Korean scientists say they've cooked up a quartet of glow-in-the-dark beagles, boasting red nails and abdomens even under normal light and which emit a spooky red glow when subject to ultraviolet. One of the Ruppy puppies show in visible and UV light. Pic: Lee Byeong-chun of Seoul National University The four …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Osiris
    Thumb Up

Goldfish

How bout making me a glow in the dark goldfish?

Fish nightlights. It's a billion dollar idea. shhhhhhh

2. Dave

You can still see your food in a power cut!

Great idea

3. Andrew Moore

So Korea...

...has developed a food source that can be eaten in the dark. Take that Restaurant Noir!

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Once upon a Time, in Lands Far, Far Away.....

Whatever next? The Mind Boggles at Man's Ingenuity with Animals and ITs Ability to Shape Humanised Perception.

"The scientist did, though, remain tight-lipped on exact details of the research, saying it was still "under way"." ..... QuITe so. One doesn't want to be unduly Alarming the Natives.

5. Philip Blythe
    Jobs Horns

Need Photographic or PlayMobil proof

I need hard evidence of these Red nailed glowing devil dogs

6. psini
    Happy

@Osiris

Yes, Sheldon...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next...

Glow in the dark hippos!

8. Alistair
    IT Angle

But it tastes great!

All we need now is glow-in-the-dark fermented cabbage.

9. Edward Miles
    Happy

@Osiris

Already been done. http://www.glofish.com/

Not allowed for export, alas.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Camping...

with your pooch, you won't need flashlights! Brilliant!

Where is my camping gear? Go, Sparky, fetch! Good boy!

11. 4a$$Monkey
    Joke

Kim Il-sung is going to be pissed off!

His flying laser money project is going less well!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Poo!

Does their poo glow in the dark as well? Handy as it will stop you walking in it at night.

I for one welcome our new fluorescent overlords

13. Colin Barfoot
    Alert

weapons-grade pooches

Here's the recipe for your own,

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122310097/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

According to PNAS 2002, their glowing powers come from Discosoma, which according to reefpedia are "bulletproof".

14. hugo tyson
    Stop

"Genuine clones"

said the other scientist. So what? Or does "clone" now mean anything which has been messed about with genetically, like in bad movies, rather than several individuals with identical genes.

15. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Why?

The only question is why do the Asian scientists insist on making things glow in the dark? Not enough daylight over there?

What about something useful like a chicken with 4 legs ( good for KFC! ) or deaf goldfish ( they invariably croak after the bang if you have a slight electrical problem that results in you getting free electro-shock treatment! )?

What about chocolate bar trees? Lager streams? PC O/S that actually works? ( Sorry some things are just way to advanced for the foreseeable future! )

16. Fluffykins Silver badge

Two Options, not one, to make glowing puppies

Option 1:

Injected fluorescent genes (from an unspecified source)

Option 2:

Hot Curry

17. storng.bare.durid
    Thumb Down

Pandora's box.

Isn't it curious how us humans keep opening one pandora's box after another?

18. Richard Thomas

Moving up the evolutionary scale...

...how long before they engineer dog that tastes of chicken? Or lamb, yum!

19. Matt Smart
    Thumb Down

Ugh :(

This is just cruel...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news

All you need is a bowl of Ready Brek.

PS Something surreal happened - I think I understood amanfromMars's comment. Well part of at least, I wouldn't want to exaggerate.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It works on humans as well

In a month or so the Mediterranean resorts will be full of British volunteers glowing bright red after subjection to ultraviolet.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Showboat

More showboating from the Korean biotech business as usual. I guess the funding must be running out. Oh, and "genuine clones" are involved once again. Tick all those media boxes, boffins!

23. Dale

Fluorescent ≠ Glow-in-the-dark

Come on, fluorescent under ultra violet light is not the same as glow-in-the-dark. I want a proper glow-in-the-dark puppy that doesn't need an external light source.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Eco Puppies.

Just think of all the energy Korea will save by not needing to have a little light inside the fridge come on when you sneak down at night for a snack.

Paris, nice puppies...

25. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alert

Purple Patches

"More showboating from the Korean biotech business as usual." ... By Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 30th April 2009 13:01 GMT

AC,

It is much more to do with the Virtual Semiconductor and Quantum Communications Processing Industry and the Far East have a Practical Priceless Monopoly on ITs Secure Open Source Networking Potential. But then they always have been More Highly SupraNaturally Attuned to Lucrative Captivating Market Adventures.

Prepare to be Astounded by not What they Know, for that Counsel and Knowledge is Privileged and Protected, but by that which they Do with That which they Know.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chicken with 4 legs

"What about something useful like a chicken with 4 legs"

I met a scientist who claimed he had developed a 4-legged chicken. "Fantastic! What do they taste like?" I asked. "I dunno," he replied, "We've never been able to catch one!"

"Koreans cook up glow-in-the-dark beagles" Now they will have to release a new edition of the world-famous Korean cookbook, "101 Ways to Wok your Dog."

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jellyfish?!?

Mother Jones sez "sea anemones". Didn't anyone think of googling "ruppy" before posting this "news"?

28. Kevin

@Edward Miles

sadly those don't glow in the dark :( I have about 20 currently. Now if you combo them with a blue LED in the dark they seem to glow but they do not glow in the dark themselves.

29. David Wilkinson
    Unhappy

Or maybe its just a fluorescent flea dip?

I don't trust the South Koreans when it comes to the integrity of their scientific research, especially when anyone mentions the word clone.

Maybe the dogs were just soaked in a fluorescent dye. Maybe they just learned to use an exciting new Photoshop filter.

*yawn* wake me when they do something useful, peer reviewed AND with the results replicated by a respectable third party.

30. Andy Bright
    Go

This is what it's all about

If there ever was a purpose for science, glow-in-the-dark dogs is what it's all about. I've been saving my pennies for one of these ever since the first green pig was previewed on The Reg.

I said it then and I'll say it now, fuck medical science, this beats owning the largest flat panel TV every made and a flying car.

Get the party going, turn out the lights and release the glowing puppies.

31. Nick L

~ac 10:32

And after that - glow in the dark hippies ...

32. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

LOL

When I read the title I thought it meant that Korans cooked a dog. LOL. Is this title totally prejudice or what!? Hahah. WTF?!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

No glow-dogs for me...

flourescent lights give me headaches ;)

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd be more impressed if...

they'd announced beforehand just exactly which parts of the dog would glow, and then proceed to make it happen. But just having some areas glowing doesn't seem very precise. Can't they control the glow areas a little bit better?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andy Bright

"I've been saving my pennies for one of these ever since the first green pig was previewed on The Reg."

First green pig? I don't think so. Don't recall the article but I'm sure that Green Eggs And Ham is a hell of a lot older than The Reg.

36. Pierre

Dogs are not easy to clone....

so this might be a breakthrough! Then again, I seem to remember some kind of breakthrough from an US-sponsored south-korean lab* about cloning... never mind.

*pleonasm I know. Kind of like saying "US-sponsored Israeli [anything]". Amazing how the US taxmoney is spent...

If we pray hard enough. these mutts might save us from the mexican-swine-flu-from-hell... which was sent by all these oil-rich TERRORIST MUSLIM ARAB COUNTRIES to destroy civilisation surely. We should invade them all and suck their oil, shurely... this swine-bird-earthworm-flu must be a weapon of mass destruction...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like