back to article Microsoft releases Vista SP2 to manufacturing

Microsoft has blog-announced the release to manufacturing of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. SP2 includes all the delivered updates since SP1 and support for new types of hardware and hardware standards. The essential features are faster and more relevant Search 4.0, support for the latest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott Mckenzie

What about TVPack..

....for all us MediaCentre folk who like to watch HD!

I have the hacked version but really don't want to have to upgrade to Windows 7 on a media centre just so i don't have to have a hacked dll....

2. Mike Dolan

SP2 requires SP1?

"A prerequisite for the installation of SP2 is that SP1 is installed."

Good to see Microsoft moving backwards with technology.

No slipstreaming, non-cumulative service packs....

I'm sorry, I thought this was 2009, not 1989.

3. Tony Hoyle

UTC timestamps.. at last

Took them long enough - the bug where all the timestamps shift an hour twice a year (which has been there since the NT4 days) is a pain in the neck to code for when you're dealing with FAT, due to the lack of raw UTC timestamps.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Essential?

" faster and more relevant Search 4.0"

Is this really essential?

"Windows Connect Now (WCN) to simplify WiFi configuration"

FFS - how damned hard is it to configure a WiFi connection? Or does this mean they have finally fixed the well known "feature" when Vista refuses to play ball with some routers and comes back with some obscure meaningless error message that even on TechNet the MS people have no idea what is going on.

Again if this really is seen as "Essential" then God help us

5. Neil

Yeehah

Flog that dead horse, flog it good.

6. Greg

Vista SP2?

Windows 7 is here already? Man, that was fast!

7. Shane McCarrick

Any chance of getting the XP emulation environment

Any chance of MS getting the XP emulation environment ready for Vista that they are harping on about for Windows 7?

Re the wifi connection problem- do what everyone else does and disable the MS configurator and use the Intel one (or MSI or whatever wireless card you happen to be using) to manage your connections. I ended up dismantling over 20 laptops and numerous desktops- just to put Intel cards in them, for ease of usage.....

S.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

It does not change anything

No matter how many service packs they put out, Vista was, is and always will be a crock of sh1t. Just like nay incarnation of Windoze.

9. Big Dave
    Go

@ What about TVpack?

You should try MediaPortal. We use that at my house and its great.

10. Jason Togneri
    Thumb Up

@ Mike Dolan

Who on earth would use Vista without SP1? So your complaint is kind of redundant then ;-)

As for the rest of it, if they're bringing it up to what I understand to be the Windows 7 operational standard (that is, VistaSP2 = Windows7) then I'm happy. Certainly SP1 was a massive step up from vanilla Vista.

11. Matt Korth
    Gates Horns

Windows Search

"' faster and more relevant Search 4.0'

Is this really essential?"

Indeed. Now it looks like I once again need to worry about Microsoft deciding that I *must* want to use Windows Search and doing their usual routine of install, start service, start service automatically at boot. This despite the fact that I've deliberately (and with malice) told Windows Search not to run on my computer...

12. Michael Habel
    Happy

Re: What about TVPack.. & @ What about TVpack?

Well first off what about the VMCE-2008 "TV-Pack"?!

It's not like it actually supports anything useful, such as DVB "C" or "S", just that same tired and utter useless pile of crap "T". Which might be fine for those of you in the UK (FreeView), or in the US where almost anyone has access to a Digital Terrestrial Transmission (ABC, CBS, FOX & NBC), but "T" just isn't worth the time & expense for those who live somewhere else. As those channels are usually carried by the local Cable Co. or say over the Astra Satellite Network. Upshot being limited by about 15 Channels to 15.000+ from Geostationary you do the math! More might not =/= better, but I happen to enjoy having a choice!

Now as for MediaPortal....

How the heck can you even recommend this to anyone? I never seen a more retched Program since (perhaps the early-ish days of Vista?). But like Vista MediaPortal is even more flaky yeah unlike the above, it does support DVB-S /*S2 -C and -T with Common Interface for Conditional Access Modules. Something that Microsoft should have ALSO HAD BY NOW!!!!

But what's the point of it when it takes nah-on forever to change channels and hope that such messages actually reach the CAM in order to decode the properly??

If your really serious about having an HTPC there is really only One answer, and that would be Linux! Or which I'd recommend Kaus Schmidingers' VDR (Video Disk Recorder), Basicly it's the same OS that is used in the reassuringly expensive Reelbox, and unlike the above & above. It works with every DVB Standard out there i.e. S/S2 C and T and it can do HD as well.

The only downside is that you have to be careful which hardware you try to install but if you stick to OEMs like KNC1, or TechnoTrend you'll be safe.

*I think MP has support for DVB-S2 as well but IIRC it eats away at your DiSEqC Table, Since I like useing DiSEqC for (13.0e, 19.2e, 23.5e & 28.2e/28.5e) , I don't take to kind to this "fix"...

That said MP is ~just~ a bit more usable then XP/V/7-MCE. Sadly just not as usable as any of the Linux based stuff from which MP hails from....

13. Scott Mckenzie

TVPack

With a hacked dll from thegreenbutton Tvpack 2008 does indeed support DVB-S - the fact i am watching and happily recording BBC HD and ITV HD is testament to this... but i'm not mad keen on hacked dll's... Win 7 supports it out of the box.

As for MediaPortal, i tried it first and gave up.... the TV area was it's flakiest element, even trying third party programs such as 4therecord failed to give much success, yet promised much! The video section was excellent though.

I now run MediaBrowser within VMC and it works extremely well - i miss some functionality from MediaPortal but overall am much happier with the speed and reliability.... i just wish they'd launch full support for HD channels!

14. Mike Dolan
    Stop

@Jason Togneri

"Who on earth would use Vista without SP1? So your complaint is kind of redundant then ;-)"

Out here in the real world I'm regularly phoned to deal with friends/family/consumer PCs. Shed loads I have visited don't have SP1 due to MS breaking the servicing stack or MS blocking the update due to driver incompatibilities. Do a little searching and you will find many complaints of this type.

So how do they get SP2 if they cannot even get SP1?

For some people, they do not have the technical "know-how" and that is not their fault. But it places a much greater burden on techies who in previous OSes could just slap on the latest SP.

15. Michael Habel
    Linux

Re: TVPack

For someone who doesn't like mad dll's I'm kinda surprised you'd attempt to use a DVB-T to DVB-S Translator. But hay to each there own. I know that I've never been able to get my Hardware to work under MCE and anything other then MCE is just not do this "idea" justice.

But, even assuming that DVB-S did work and then as FTA ONLY it would only be marginally useful to me. `Cause I'd still need DVB-C w/CI/CAM to use my Subscription. Of which it would seem that Microsorft has never heard of.

In any casen this One reguard I have firmly given up all hope for Microsoft and have become a full on Freetard *nux user. As far as I'm concerned HTPC is Linuxs' "KILLER APP!!"

But then I guess I'm looking more at the HT then the PC side of the coin....

16. Scott Mckenzie

TVPack

Michael,

There is certainly no solution for CAM's etc... whereas indeed under MediaPortal there are... for me however FTA is more than sufficient anyway

The dll isn't (to the best of my knowledge) a translator of any sort, i have a dual input card that has DVB-S and DVB-T inputs (2 of each - a Pinnacle 7010ix) the hacked dll is purely a decoder for the signal as the standard one cannot handle the HD feeds, one assumes due to the h.264 codec used.

I'll admit to having not used Linux for a HTPC, my VMC + MediaBrowser does everything i need, though I acknowledge for others they may need more!

Scott

17. David Austin

Title

On the subject of cumulative service packs..

Not that many people have noticed, but Windows XP SP3 requires at least SP1 - it won't go onto RTM Installations.

I can ~almost~ understand that decision, what with there being a 6 year gap between XPSP1 and XPSP3. The only time it's really an issue is when you re-install straight off of an RTM Disk, and even then, if you're technical enough for it to bother you, then you can slipstream SP3 into the install.

But with Vista, my year and a half old RTM Disk means I've got 2 sets of forty minute service pack installs, with the added insult that there's no Microsoft sanctioned way of slipstreaming it.

Just another annoyance to chalk up on Vista. Think the longest Vista use I've tolerated was about a month, before changing from an XP/Vista Dual boot to an XP/XP64, then XP/Win7beta.

18. Big Dave

Uhm, well.

Blah blah Linux, blah. MediaPortal works for us and never has had a problem. It works better that MCE and well. It just. Works. I don't care for what you like about a Linux run HTPC as it's not relevant to the topic.

We don't use it to "change channels". Hooking up to a 18Tb server mean channel changing isn't needed.

Next?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

W7 migration

Would you please provide to the Register's readers a very simple road map showing how to migrate to W7 from Vista and XP and also the mode to do it, on-line or other means ? I think it will be a great help. Thank you

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like