back to article Top EMC exec jumps ship for HP

EMC storage division president David Donatelli is leaving EMC, in an abrupt and surprising move, to become HP's Executive Vice President for Enterprise Servers, Storage and Networking. Effective from 5 May, Donatelli will report to Ann Livermore, EVP of the Technology Solutions Group at HP, to lead the development of HP’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash
    Coat

Zing!

What does Master Splinter think of that?

The one with the nunchucks, please.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

See ya...

Yup, it was a move based on future succession, no question. Not sure he'll enjoy pedelling HDS kit in the wake of the recent excellent product release of V-Max, but HP didn't bag him for his tech savvy alone. It's a shame he's left EMC though, 22 years, alot of it when EMC were they only storage game in town. Lets hope HP have improved on his $700,000 basic, that should ease the pain. G'luck.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

Pass the Sub-Prime Parcel .... IPLiability

"This could have pissed Tucci off." Or Joe could have "arranged" the departure/pensioning off, out of an uncommon sense of decency rarely found in leading Edge Cut Throat Business/Life Style Choices.

Chris,

It could also be that Mr Donatelli is just a Simple One Trick Pony, Jack of all Trades and Master of None ["Donatelli joined EMC in 1987 and has held important management positions in nearly every area of the company, including sales, marketing, customer service, manufacturing and alliances."] in an Evolutionary Multi Discipline Field, and not Nexus Future Matrix material?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$700,000 - less voluntary 5%

Don't forget - perhaps it was the 'voluntary' (yeah, right) 5%

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Why?

Why leave one reasonably stable and still floating ship for a sewage barge?

Let's face it, HP is a dying company - PHUX sucks, their storage sucks, their servers are overpriced and components come from the cheapest bidder, their printers are cheap and nasty nowadays. The only thing keeping Sewage Barge HP afloat is the ocean of ink they sell.

Baaad mooooooooooooove.

6. Adam
    Paris Hilton

Re:Why?

I thought half term had finished and the kids are back at school now - what a muppet!

Would that be the largest IT company in the world and still growing sewage barge

What a loser...............

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Why?

Sorry - I thought it said HP not IBM.

No it definitely says HP.

Oh right - you're one of those PHUXtards or a Mark Turd wannabe. Run along now.

Clearly you need to do your homework. An expanding company doesn't force a voluntary pay cut on anyone or lay off thousands

Are you always obsessed with children? Interesting.

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Re: Re: Why?

As you can see, the Sunshiners aren't dealing too well with that whole Sun-just-got-raped-by-Larry thing after hp and IBM both laughed at the idea of buying their ludicrous hardware bizz. As regards layoffs, they also seem to have forgotten that Ponytail announced 6,000 before the sale and it still won't be enough for Larry. Not to worry, even the most obtuse Sunshiner can only keep going for about another year, by then Oracle will have killed off most of the existing Sun product lines and they'll have to switch to championing Scientology or some other cult of the deluded.

9. SynnerCal
    Joke

Oh you idiot!

Let me get this right - this bozo leaves EMC (company apparently doing alright) to join Hindustan Products (company doing so 'well' that it treats it's top managers to a small pay cut, and the blue collars to a whacking great big one).

This being the case, could someone in the HP boardroom please order a mandatory drug test for Mr D - as he's obviously operating under the malign influence of some kind of hallucinogenic substance!

Better still, rather than join the only part of Hopeless President that's making good money (yep, that old clunker EDS - now we can see why they bought that pile) he choses to join the group that - reputedly - is losing la dinero faster than a rube at the Vegas tables.

I can only assume that the sainted exec relishes the challenge of turning that turkey around.

Here's a thought for the poor trodden on HP workers - maybe El Donatelli figures he's got a shot at the top chair when El Hurdo le Turdo steps down (or the Almighty sees what's escaped from Heck and starts throwing lighting bolts at the HP No. 1)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@matt bryant

Gee - hope completely irrelevant.

Where was Sun / Oracle mentioned anywhere in the comments except in your rambling post?

11. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Pirate

RE: SynnerCal

"Let me get this right - this bozo leaves EMC (company apparently doing alright)...." Apart from VMware, EMC is not so secure. Their proprietary storage business has gone from dot-boom complete market dominance to also-ran and is now under serious threat of being eaten from below by "cheap" storage solutions like LeftHand.

"....Better still, rather than join the only part of Hopeless President that's making good money (yep, that old clunker EDS - now we can see why they bought that pile) he choses to join the group that - reputedly - is losing la dinero faster than a rube at the Vegas tables....." It seems to have escaped your notice that hp have consistently turned in profits for many years before the EDS acquisition. And the hardware bizz was making a profit all that time - didn't you notice those Gartner and IDC figures about hp being the number one server vendor? Ever heard of the ProLiant range? Or notice that Integrity is out-selling IBM an Sun in the lucrative enterprise high-end. How do you think hp made the money to buy EDS?

"....I can only assume that the sainted exec relishes the challenge of turning that turkey around....." No, more like he saw a nice, comfortable bearth to weather out the recession, with the added bonus of a long-term shot at the CEO slot when Hurd The Butcher gets bored and looks for a new victim. With Sun going belly up, IBM and hp will be targetting all that creaking SPARC base as a key growth area over the next few years, and Donatelli is probably going to pick up some nice bonuses off the back of prep work others have put in place as hp reaps in those migrations.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Matt Bryant

Pure and simple: Printer ink

That's the HP's only saviour.

BTW, are you the same Matt Bryant that works for HP? If so, your previous attempted slight at having got rid of your Sun kit doesn't really work does it?

"Matt Bryant,

UK Account Support Organisation,

Hewlett-Packard."

Hmmm - there can only be one.

13. Adam

re:anonymous why??

So you can't string a coherent argument together you have to stoop to the lowest denominator,

I'd hardly call one reference to you having an imbecilic attitude being an obsession

Now let me explain the rhetoric, the use of the word "kids" was purely used as a metaphor for your apparent inability to sustain and deliver a well reasoned argument, much like the mind of a child.

PS if you look at the financials from both HP and IBM you'll see that IBM was $103.6 Billion compared with HP's $118.4 Billion. So i think I have my homework pretty well covered thanks!

Still growing = more revenue, an extra $14.1 Billion actually which is 13% growth.

And answer me this in the current economic climate would you rather a) have no job, or b) take a 5% paycut. I know which i'd choose albeit I wouldn't be happy about it.

Seriously if you were twice as funny you'd be a wit

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like