back to article Mitsubishi to release e-car in UK this year

While the global car market may be in the toilet, Mitsubishi has high hopes for its iMiEV e-car. Mitsubishi had been planning to produce 10,000 units of the 'leccy runabout by the end of 2011, but, according to the company's latest figures, it's now targeting 15,000 cars for that year and 30,000 as early as 2013. That 30,000 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right hand drive.

That's because Japan is right hand drive and they're much more willing to go for stuff that breaks so they make a good first market.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Cost?

'cos that's a sensible car...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I like this one:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03/05/mitsubishi_miev_air_geneva/

Second design down (iMiEV Sport Air).

I would buy one as long as it was easyish to charge.

4. Frank Bough
    Thumb Up

The first REAL leccy car!

Certainly this car will be a minority interest, but I suspect it mark the turning point. The limited range is enough for commuting, the performance is decent, the bodyshell high-tech and pretty spacious. Once people get a load of the running costs, Mitsubishi dealers will be inundated. I've got my name down for one already.

Oh, BTW, there's an existing petrol powered version of this car (the iCar), so you can check out the accommodation and style at your local Mitsubishi dealership if you're interested...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Taking far too long .. its a conspiracy I tell ya

This stuff is taking way too long to hit the streets. There is no rocket science involved. Battery tech improving through the driver of necessity [inevitably] and already at a sufficient state to begin the so-called revolution.

The reluctance to get to market too quickly has got to be down to money as usual. Often leccy tech needs little maintenance, is not as costly to maintain anyway, fewer things to go wrong, and of course more difficult to tax from a government that portrays itself to be Green and saviour of the planet.

Applause to Mitsubishi for jumping ship and releasing product in 2009. Lets hope that this is sufficient to make the other majors bring forward their plans.

Unfortunately, the minor manufacturers are unlikely to survive - they don't have the "contacts" nor the capital or government funding/support to do so. It'll be the majors again, and to their own agenda and timing ...

They're all aliens, you know.

This topic is closed for new posts.