back to article Facebook wins Zimbabwe election on T&Cs

Facebook is claiming a victory in a vote to decide on changes to its terms and conditions, even though only 0.03 per cent of users voted on changes. A big row broke out in February when Facebook tried to change its terms and conditions to give the company licenses over all content posted on the site for ever. Outrage from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tawakalna

Ebagum..

you see, you peoples in de West, you don' unnerstand de term "jerrymandering" in de African sense..."

2. Apocalypse Later

Every mother knows...

this trick. Rather than dictate a course of action to a child, who will balk automatically, you offer two choices, either of which is acceptable to you.

Most children know the trick too, by the time they are six anyway.

3. Jack
    Stop

Why Democracy in a private business?

Facebook is a privately owned business. It receives no public money. AFAIK, no contracts are made with the users so the owners make the rules they want and the users either accept or stop using the service.

Just like complaints about 'freedom of speech' when a forum moderator has to slap down or ban an abusive troll or troublemaker there is no legal requirement for democratic process in this case. I'd be surprised if they don't hit copyright issues with their new Ts & Cs unless they force users to opt-in to the new rules (but there again IANAL).

While there is no requirement for democracy, management should be aware that if they upset too many users, those users could just go elsewhere which is bad for business. The only real 'vote' a user has in this case is the one with their feet.

4. Goatan
    Flame

die on fire

I hope they all perish in flames!

5. Angus Ireland
    Black Helicopters

Vote? What Vote?

No one told me there was going to be a vote on Ts and Cs. Presumably it's in the Ts and Cs that they don't have to tell me when they're having a vote on Ts and Cs.

6. Peter Mc Aulay

Surely no-one is surprised

This is not the first time FB has tried to appropriate its users' content, either.

7. Paul McConkey

meh

Why do people on MyFace etc complain about privacy issues?

It's the Internet for goodness sake, it's not meant to be private.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Electronic voting: another triumph (not)

I voted, but I only found it by accident and the page was incredibly confusing and badly written, so it was very hard to tell whether you were actually voting for what you wanted.

I think Facebook deliberately kept it low profile with a short voting window (only 7 days, despite this having rumbled on for months) and hard/frustrating to understand in the hope they could manipulate the turnout and result.

I don't think they're nice people, I'm mentally filing them next to eBay now.

9. Pierre

A Strange [privacy] game

The only winning move is

Not to play

I other words, what the heck is compelling all these dumb sheeple to put sensitive info on a site like FB in the first place? (or to use FB at all, for that matter. I could partially understand that for 12-yo girls, but apparently some _adults_ have a FB page too)

10. ShaggyDoggy

FB is

A strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thats got to be embarassing ...

0.03% surely that has got to be embarrassing for anyone seeking a vague appearance of approval by public vote.

Still, give the likes of facebook users the vote and we'll be back to cavorting druids, death by stoning and dung for dinner.

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

People, people, people....

1. Grow up.

2. Get wise.

3 Leave well alone...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Heads - I win

Tails - you loose

I like the comparison as zimbabwean election.

looks like you might have coined a new phrase here ;-)

As a British zimbokraut (those who know me will understand the term ;-) ) I can very much relate to that and truly believe that is may be worthwhile taking up into the latest edition of the Oxfords...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Facebook epitaph

The epitaph on the FB gravestone. "We though our users were stupid."

We have choice FB, we can go somewhere else - you can not - without us you are DEAD. Keep up the corporate big brother nonsense and you will be.

15. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Stop

@AC - Really?

You don't think, do you? You mean a private company, running a private enterprise tried to control it's operation by hiding a chance for the customers to chance the T&C with legal mumbo-jumbo and hidden options?

Gosh! Shock! Call out the guard!

Another reason to thoroughly scan the T&C of any website you wish to use to spread pictures of your mates doing something stupid, BEFORE you upload them!

16. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

Not Zimbabwe!

"....only 0.03 per cent of users voted...."

To be truly like Zimbabwe, they'd have sent armed thugs round to the houses of the other 99.07% to get 'em to vote and vote the right way.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

re: Facebook Epitaph

"We though our users were stupid."

To be fair they do have evidence (I mean more evidence than that sentence)..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/14/facebook_twitter_users_dunces_amoral/

Given how anyone I know that uses Facebook uses Facebook why would they care if they are

granting perpetual rights for Facebook to use the copyright

material they have swiped from somewhere else and posted.

0.03% sounds like about the right proportion of Facebook users who have posted

anything that is

a) Original

b) Worth looking at

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like