back to article Security maven sics 'special ops' on botnet gangs

Sometimes fighting botnets, spam, and other online crime is like raking leaves on a windy day. Bag one operation and almost overnight there are a half-dozen more that take its place. It's a story that's all too familiar to Joe Stewart, director with SecureWorks' Counter Threat unit. Now, he's proposing members of the security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave Bell

Keeping Up The Pressure.

And now spam is worse that it ever has been.

Remember those Net Force books,and that film (it had it's moments)? It'll never come out like that. And too much policing seems to be about controlling us,instead of catching the crooks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been saying for a couple of years ...

... we ought to be using "Special Ops" of a different sort. Take all those ex-Cold War spooks, and those former special forces (who took contractor jobs in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere) and are now or soon to be under-employed, and put them on the tail of mass-spammers, malware authors and botnet herders. Pinpoint them, and then ... umm ... liberate them ... with extreme prejudice.

This is a reasonable start, though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Hmmm

I was a military contractor in Iraq - but as tempting as the idea is of "cleaning the intrawebz of scumbags", I don't see many contractors signing up for that (for various reasons, legal and otherwise).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

TINLC

Hammer -> Nads = One less spammer!

problem solved :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Hmmmm

I wasn't really serious!

Anyway, I figure all we need to do is unleash our lovely Moderatrix - the botnet gangs won't know what hit them.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Solution:

"Connection refused. Your operating system is incompatible with the Internet."

7. Frank Bitterlich
    Boffin

Good luck, guys...

... I wouldn't want to be a member of such a "special ops" team. Chances are high that the guys behind that kind of business would send something more drastic than a flame email.

BTW, shouldn't that be done by the police, anyway? Ah, wait, they're too busy catching <del>terrorists</del>... ah, tourists making photographs of doubledecker busses...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like