back to article BT wins Starbucks Wi-Fi deal

BT will take over as Wi-Fi operator at Starbucks coffee shops in the UK and Ireland, with T-Mobile losing out on revenue from more than 650 hotspots. Announcing the deal today, BT said it will begin to install service in some stores this week, with rollout scheduled to be completed by the end of summer. The deal is for five …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crap coffee meets crap interent

I'm assuming that they will be profiling all openzone traffic with Phorm? Yet another reason to avoid starbucks.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. N

Ugh!

Phorm deformation tools at the ready

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So ...

That'll be a skinny latte with extra Phorm, then ...

5. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Down

Bucks for the star

Oo there's a pyramid in my eye!

6. Jon Green

OpenZone not an opt-out, it's an opt-in

BT auto-updated our Business Broadband router a while ago. I checked the settings as soon as they had done it. The OpenZone facility was switched _off_. We would have had to have opted _in_ in order to enable it as a hotspot.

Maybe earlier versions of the update had it on by default, but that was not our experience.

7. Scott Wallace
    Unhappy

O2 topup woes

One hitch is that you need to be topped up with O2's PAYG mobile BB to get wifi access, and with https://mobilebroadbandaccess.o2.co.uk/ having currently gone on its holidays thats easier said that done!!

8. Law
    Go

cool

I quite like starbucks... not world-class coffee... but better than a greasy spoon cafe... and now I get the interwebs faster on my iphone at the same times!!... I'm quite glad I switched to o2 really - auto-logging into hotspots works so much easier than tmobile ever did(nt)...

I get better connectivity at work too, seems we have an o2 mast in countryside and tmobile didn't, which prompted the switch in the first place! :)

I may be the only person in the world who's had nothing but a positive experience with o2 if comments from previous threads are anything to go by... add to this I'm actually impressed with my recent Virgin Media installation and I think hell has finally frozen over!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Special coffee

I'll have and Americana with NO Phorm of cream on top.

10. Mindless Geek

Oh goody

I'll be able to take my son to starbucks rather than McDs in the future, do they do kiddy meals?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Law: Greasy Spoon?

Personally, the best coffee I have ever had -- and that's saying a lot -- has been in greasy spoons, specifically one in Brighton (ironically right next door to a Starbucks) where I get free refills and a *real* mug, not a crap paper cup, all for the princely sum of 90 pence.

Coffee snobbery is very counter-productive. Greasy spoons (true ones) rule.

12. adamski
    Paris Hilton

still being ripped-off

Personally, I'll avoid any outlet where they still charge for wifi. There are planty enough free ones around so I tend to avoid *$

Any why is it, you can go to just about any airport abroad and get it free where in good old blighty, you have to pay through the nose?

Another example of rip-off brittain!!!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@crap coffee meets crap interent

Ha ha - quite funny as I was coming in to make a comment with the exact same title (modulo the spelling mistake).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Free WiFi at airports... not

Err, adamski... I have no idea what you're going on about when it comes to airport WiFi. Most foreign ones don't seem to have it at all!

London City = free. Amsterdam Schipol = bloody expensive.

Where've you been flying?!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like