back to article Doc invents videogame sedation headset

Drugging kids as they play on Game Boys is an odd and slightly creepy thought. But a gadget’s been invented that does just that. pedisedate PediSedate: chill out while playing videogames The PediSedate headset has been designed to help calm children before, say, going under the dentist’s drill or before a serious operation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jonathan

Hmmm

Can it be modified to inject a certain white powder up one's nose? Would be a hit with bankers if it could. Plate it gold, put a brandname on it and sell it for the low low price of £1 million.

Rather a strange idea though. Also, when I read the headline, I thought it was the game that somehow did the sedating.

2. Paul

Does...

...this headset smell of chloroform to you?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so much potential

in addition to the nose candy suggestion, looks like it could be a good smoking device for the busy game playing stoner, probably wouldn't be that hard to get it pumping beer into your mouth, this is the product of the future

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

That's Not Just Slightly Creepy...

...it's VERY creepy.

I would be very surprised if this ever made it past the vetting authorities.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Reminds Me Too Much Of This

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/06/xbox.html

6. Timo

there is one for adults - netmeeting

i get sedated all of the time with netmeeting. sit there and listen to someone drone on and on.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

awsome

Can I get one that releases hallucingenic vapours?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trippy, man!

Given that NOS is a disassociative anaesthetic with psychedelic effects, I'm not really sure how viable playing games wearing the thing would actually be...

9. Chris Seiter
    Flame

Smelly Games

Someone is bound to modify it to where instead of one large canister of gas, it can take many small canisters and mix them to create different smells. Cooking Mama just took on a whole new aspect.

Burnt squid and linguini anyone? No?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

VERY CREEPY INDEED

Looks like the Ultimate tool for a pedophile !

Mine the coat with expired candies in the pockets...

(just kidding ;)

11. Michael
    Stop

I don't get it

How is this any different from just giving them the N2O normally while they play on a gameboy or listen to music?

12. Steve Roper
    Thumb Up

I want one

Where do you buy these? Do they come with the nossie bottle attached or is that extra? ;)

13. Kevin Campbell
    Thumb Up

<light bulb moment>

heeeeeey... could this be used to "calm" my wife before I bring up any argument-inducing topic?

dingdingding! Winner!

14. vincent himpe

i wan tan officesedate

when you get to work : put it onze, zone out and it wakes you when it is time to go home... now that would be selling like hotcakes !

15. Martin Lyne

Why

Why does it need to connect to anything? If you listen to techno or pwn at mario does it sedate you faster? I sit just a power source? Bullshit gimmic.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If WoW wasnt already addictive enough,

then try it with drugs too!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What, no VR goggles?

Sounds to me like the perfect platform for adding Smell-O-Vision capability. Burning gunpowder for an FPS, burning rubber or gas( petrol) for driving games, etc. Then there are the teledildonic applications...

18. Christoph

Wouldn't it be easier?

Just put them to sleep by making them watch TV soap operas

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

re: That's Not Just Slightly Creepy...

It will...

After all neither the parents, nor the doc were prosecuted in this case: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7893485.stm

I am still wondering - did they tell the kid the truth on what they are going to do to her in that case or it was the UK perennial favourite of "mommy and doc know best".

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

WTF

I knew that patent by Josef Mengele was ahead of time.

The one with the ticket to hull.

22. Eric Hood

Nitrous injectors

Nitrous for Mario Kart. Will it make them go faster. Hmmmm.

or

Amyl Nitrate for Leisure Suit Larry.

23. b166er

Perfect

if connected to an in-flight entertainment system.

24. Seán

Good oh

Where can I get refills?

25. Charles Manning

Hardly a new idea

Since the 1980s some anesthetists have been using toy telephones rigged with a walkman and nox. Get the kid to 'talk on the phone and they get knocked out cold.

26. storng.bare.durid
    Paris Hilton

Dentist?

How the hell does he get at the teeth?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PediSedate?

What - they sedate their feet?

28. DZ-Jay

PedoSedate

That's more like it.

-dZ.

29. Helen-LG

I had the same confusion as Jonathan

- thought the game somehow sedated you, not an attachment. (Now thinking of Hypno-Toad from Futurama!) It's an interesting idea but it would never have occurred to me it was a necessary tool..!

30. Colin Miller

Ancient mockup

Does it come with an original GameBoy?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Drugging children via computers

Haven't I heard of this somewhere before?

I believe it involved making computer keyboards smell like hammers...

Paris, 'cos I'd gladly sedate her without her knowing what was going to happen!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like