back to article Hackers stuff ballot box for Time Magazine's top 100 poll

Time Magazine's poll of the 100 most influential people has been hacked by a motley band of online troublemakers who have managed to manipulate the top 21 names so their first letters spell "marblecake, also the game." According to an inside account detailed by blogger Paul Lamere, members of the 4chan website exploited …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

As much as chantards usually sucks,

This is, indeed, epic win.

DESU!

Anon, obviously.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now That

Now That is the funniest thing they've done in years. Kudos.

That and trying to send the Spice Girls to Iraq.

Again more signs of what the internet is for.

3. sektah
    Thumb Down

luck?

"We took many preventative measures to maintain the integrity of the Time 100 poll on Time.com, and moot has a passionate community of users who worked to influence the poll,"

My arse. You left the poll wide-open for the most dumb-arse of hackers/script kiddies to figure out. There was no luck involved in this, just pure 100% cunning. Your systems were rubbish, your vote-vetting was rubbish, and the 4chan crew showed you up for the noobs that you are. Congratulations, lepers.

4. hikaricore
    Thumb Up

For once.

It seems like a business that has been fucked with has a sense of humor.

5. Apocalypse Later

Interest added....

to an essentially trivial exercise (Korean pop star?) without rendering it any less trivial.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TOGTFO

yay

anon for teh winz

+1 interwebz to all

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Bah!

I just lost the game. o_0

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

w00t to the moot!

Congrats to Anon once again.

9. Tails
    Black Helicopters

I'm suprised..

That Jacqui Smith didn't have it hacked to win it for herself.

Mine's the one with the insiders in GCHQ.

10. slack
    Happy

Funny

Sometimes the /b/tards do something amusing, this is one of those times. Congrats moot, enjoy the victory.

11. Andy Livingstone

Early Government Announcement

E-voting now approved by Parliament.

Thanks to all who voted for Gordon Brown in 2010, 2015, and 2020.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the game . . .

Time lost it.

& i love you Mootles!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Marvelous

Nice one Anon. Thumbs up to moot and the obligatory finger to all Scientologists.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that hard

A quick look at the page source shows you the entire contents of a form, including all the hidden elements. It's trivial to forge one.

Time deserves some credit for handling this well. They haven't tried to invalidate votes or scrapped the entire poll.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

IPv4

This would be the end of IPv4. (The hack relied on not being able to understand IPv6 - so all website will be converted very quickly to read it correctly - and IPv4 will end.

Long live the new IP

16. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWH

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

17. Sly

Time hasn't kept up with the times

this is further proof.

+1 those who actually live in the now

-1 Time Magazine for still being a n00b

w00t for LOLCats! It's Caturday!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Heh, those little scamps

Internets = srs bsns

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MD5?

When will people learn!!!

20. lupine
    Thumb Up

this is...

excellent! thumbs up to all involved

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Jesus...

I am unaware of what the 4Chan site actually is. I've deliberatly avoided it because I've heard consistent statements that the site is full of teenage douchebags. Now after this stunt, and surpisingly by some of the comments here, I believe I've done the right thing up until now. And I believe I'll continue to do so.

22. Inachu
    Flame

HAHAH moot lost and this article is epic fail

I made sure the japanese guy was #1 and not moot because moot looks like a hungry gay male on the prowl.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

but

we totally failed with ashton and cnn though just the other day though... shame twitter caught on to basementdad.

anon

24. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Down

4Chan

Bunch of masturbating script kiddies!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous

I love it when a plan comes together

26. arran

6 weeks

I must of been on a role, and now ive lost the game.

bastards.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

4chan != Hackers.

@ AC : Sunday 19th April 2009 13:40 GMT

You heard right. It only takes one /b/tard with a brain to produce a nice script, then you just need a herd of braying morons to run it on a bunch of machines. Where could you find such a herd? Hmmm.

With the tit-for-tat DoS attacks between AnT and 4Chan and the increasing cancer of newfag invasions, it's time 4chan got put to bed in the archives.

28. Doug Glass
    Go

<yawn>

Big Frelling Deal. But at least the author knows the difference between "Moot" and "Mute" which most new age "journalists", and other writers, don't.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Wasn't there a story just the other week...

...about the denizens of /b/ being about the most powerful force on the internet these days?

Well good luck to them. This isn't one of their better stunt, but I like it enough.

To those thinking about dipping their toes into 4chan culture and finding out what it's all about, well, I would be careful. I felt like my mind had been violated the first time. The racism, gore, shock pictures, dumbass copypasta and the extreme level of offensive idiocy actually knocked me back for a while.

But it doesn't hurt so bad after the first time.

After a while you realise that there's a tremendous amount of energy there, with a big portion of disaffection. Keep watching, interesting things sometimes bubble up from that vat of pestilent puke.

30. Lewis Benzie

Just because

Given the insipid nature of todays youth and the emptiness of their vessels the proliferation of 'edgy' and 'clever' from 4chan was expected. So in a very real way moot is a man of the year. Good on him.

31. MacroRodent
    Pirate

Good demo on Internet poll futility

Again shows that Internet polls are not worth the electrons they are printed on, at least not when they raise any kind of hacker interest. Same for txt message polls and competitions: I once listened to a couple of bright young programmers describe how they rigged a local Coca Cola "collect bottles and text the code" campaign to get a free concert trip abroad. Ordinary consumers never had a change...

32. Simon B
    Heart

A pointless vote screwed :D can you do local ballet voting too? ;)

The most influential people ... who cares?!!! Nice one for screwing up a pointless vote :D

33. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: Jesus...

Just remember - what you've seen can't be unseen.

Epic lulz.

34. Trevor

Time...

...they need some dog curtains.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like