back to article Iomega opens sub-$2k box of storage tricks

Iomega has bounded into the SME NAS and iSCSI storage market with a sub-$1,800 box, taking on all other low-end NAS suppliers at their own game, and signifying that unified file and block storage is the way to go. The StorCenter Pro ix4-200r is a 1U rackmount, 4-bay, 4TB (hot-swap SATA drives), gigabit Ethernet product, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    Linux

No High Availability?

... Any HA options such as replication, heart beat etc.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Boffin

Other choice

The Thecus N5200pro has dual 1G ports (with support for bonding or failover) and iSCSI, FTP, CIFS & NFS, jumbo frames, etc. Works quite well in my experiance.

But what about performance? I see NFS write speeds of 20MB/sec and read at 40MB/sec using RAID-5 over 5*1TB disks with single 1GB port used, can this box do any better?

3. GreyWolf
    Thumb Down

What's Your Experience?

I've had two different devices from Iomega - both were poorly designed (or designed to be cheap rather than repairable), and poorly made out of cheap materials in crucial parts. Both were expensive and used expensive media - both failed early in life, and in such a way as to chew up the expensive media.

Never again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Wot?

Wot - no snide comment? Oh of course not, that would involve some individual thinking wouldn't it.......

Thanks once again for providing a precis of the press release and not bothering us with any form of useful review.

5. CKM
    Thumb Down

Plenty of NAS boxes support iSCSI for well under $1500

You can get a Thecus 5200 with iSCSI and 5Tb+ for around $1200.... And I am sure they there are plenty of others, so this is competitive how? Even Qnap and Synology machines are cheaper (and more capable) than this....

6. Frank Bough
    IT Angle

Buffalo?

We use several of Buffalo's Terastation Pros for our (limited) NAS requirements and I can see almost nothing that this Iomega product does better for the considerable extra cash.

7. big
    Thumb Up

Plenty of NAS boxes support iSCSI for well under $1500

Are there really other boxes with all what Iomega offers in this package ?

* Rack mountable

* SAN + iSCSI

* RAID 5 & 10

* Backed by EMC or other Enterprise class provider

However it's a pity there is no option for redundancy (e.g. dual NIC).

This topic is closed for new posts.