back to article Jaunty Jackalope release candidate unleashed

Jaunty Jackalope has sprung a step closer, with the release of final pre-production code for Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop and Server, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix edition. The Ubuntu 9.04 release candidate was kicked out Thursday afternoon. The Ubuntu team behind it has reported that the release candidate is "complete, stable, and suitable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Benny
    Linux

Squash those bugs

As long as the ATI drivers are fixed for release Im happy.

The beta still gives me a 1" black border around my desktop, 8.10 was fine, but 9.04 seems to ave taken a step backwards

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jaunty Jackalope...

...am I the only one waiting for the 'Q' release? K I can see - Killer Kangaroo, or Kindly ... uh... Kangaroo. But Q... Any ideas there? Quality Quail? Quick Quetzal? Quirky Quahog? I'm just not seeing it.

3. Justin White
    Coat

Re: Jaunty Jackalope...

I'm more looking forward to X. Xanthic Xenarthra? Xenomorphic Xeme? Xenocrystic Xenicidae?

How about Quixotic Quinquespinosus?

Mines the one with the Quilted Quagga on the back...

4. Hardcastle
    Paris Hilton

Then there will be X...

Yes, it will be intriguing to see what Mr. Shuttleworth comes up with for the Q release... but if you think it would be tricky to find a suitable Q name, just wait until its time for Ubuntu to go for an X name... at least with Q, you have that Quirky Quahog that the previous poster mentioned, but can anyone come up with an X animal?

Paris cuz she can put the X in X-Rated.

5. Unlimited
    Boffin

@David Wiernicki

You might try "googling" for "ubuntu release names"

First result:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

i'm going to leave now

Queer Qantassaurus

7. Niall

So what comes after

Zealous Zealot, A.A. Aardvark?

8. Greg

Jaunty is nice....

....but while my boot times are faster, and my interface is nicer, and ext4 does indeed work well....why the hell can't I move my GNOME panels any more? I can tell them top, bottom, left, etc, but I'm on a dual monitor setup. I used to be able to drag and drop them wherever I wanted. I mean, how do you even break that?

9. Mark
    Gates Horns

Just to annoy the Scientologists..

Xenophobic Xenu

10. Martin
    Thumb Down

the important question

You have missed the most important (to me) question.

Will flash games work with it?

11. Bassey
    Thumb Up

Only one I can think of is..

X-ray fish. Bit of cheat I know, but Xenophobic X-Ray Fish has a certain ring to it (although the ring may be one of desperation).

12. A. Lewis
    Thumb Up

Good stuff

I've been using the JJ beta for a little while, and even on my underpowered home PC it's impressively nippy. OS startup is under 35 seconds, and shutdown a bit quicker than that!

13. Paul Cooper
    Boffin

Plenty X names

Xenopus is well known in genetics laboratories!

14. Efros
    Happy

X

Xylophagous Xebu = Wood eating (?) cow

Xenophobic Xiphias = Stranger fearing swordfish

Efros

15. Toastan Buttar
    Unhappy

@Benny: Squash those bugs

I had the identical problem on my old Dell Inspiron laptop (ATI Rage Mobility M4). I have the choice of 640x480 or 800x600 resolution and THAT'S IT. Blimmin' useless, and very frustrating when previous versions of Ubuntu (and even Puppy !) had no trouble getting max resolution out of the same hardware !

OTOH, wireless connectivity is a dream, with a very simple initial setup and automatic reconnection on subsequent reboots. That gets my thumbs up for sure.

And why is Brasero now considered a part of Gnome ? I've been using it as a stand-alone disk-burning app for years. Isn't this integration an unwelcome step towards a more bloated megalithic system ?

I'll reserve judgement until I've used the final release of Jaunty for a few weeks. I really hope they get these ATI driver problems sorted.

16. vegister
    Linux

already running the RC

already updated my main office PC a few days ago. running smoothly, new notifications working nicely, although I don't know how to configure them (turn off pidgin notifications for example).

haven't noticed a whole lot else except for newer versions of stuff (e.g. gnome do now has docky) - hopefully the rest is just stability improvements under the hood.

still some bugs remain that affect me (yes they have been submitted), but they are niggles rather than show stoppers.

17. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

@Hardcastle

"..... can anyone come up with an X animal?"

Er, Wolverine?

<drum sting>

Ithankyou. You've been a lovely audience.......

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@unlimited

Thats a really good list of names...

Do you think L will be Leapy Lemming?

I tried the release prior to this and it was a bit buggy. Think I'll wait till its properly released before upgrading.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Dave

Start working now. The "Jackalope" was invented about 60 years ago by a guy in Wyoming. Had he lived east of the Hudson River, no doubt he'd have a few years of acclaim as a conceptual artist. As it was, I guess he developed a profitable side business selling jackalopes at a roadside store.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@TeeCee

Oh, dear. Here - I got your coat for you.

21. Outcast

Q ?

Quintessential Quokka ?

22. Froglord

@Greg

You have to hold down the <Alt> key to move the GNOME panels now. It was a deliberate change to prevent people shifting them around accidentally.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like