back to article HP goes sweet sixteen with HP-UX 11i update

The established Unix operating systems change at a glacial pace these days, but they do get tweaked from time to time. In the case of Hewlett-Packard's HP-UX 11i v3 operating system for the company's current Itanium and legacy PA-RISC servers, HP-UX gets an update every six months or so, with Update 4 debuting tomorrow. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"established Unix operating systems change at a glacial pace these days..."

You'll have them rabidly foaming over that one. Why create more work for an already busy Bee -- or is she sitting twiddling her thumbs at the moment?

Perhaps today been quiet for petulant IT twentysomethings and their calcitrant misogyny.

2. Mark
    Stop

Yawn.

"a new feature called dynamic root disk"

So, exactly like LiveUpgrade, which has been around for donkey's years. Since Solaris 2.6, IIRC.

Real cutting edge stuff, there...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh no

Here comes MB. MB's been spouting about how HPUX's had all of these "new" features forever. How could you say that these are all "new" features?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

re: "established Unix operating systems change at a glacial pace these days..."

Hehe. Except Solaris with its containers and zfs, sadly!

Have unix systems reached the same point that MS has reached on the desktop - customers have all the features they want?

Actually, have there been many developments to the Windows OS recently? Not the GUI, but the underlying OS. Do .net revisions count?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I didn't realize how far behind HP-UX was

After reading this, I really wonder how many people HP has working on HP-UX development. It is equally amazing there are any HP-UX customers left, given how much more advanced Solaris and AIX are at this point. AIX has great features and very good IBM POWER hardware. Solaris has the advantage of bring advanced UNIX features to both SPARC and x86. With HP-UX you have fewer features (an HP-UX problem for a decade), and a questionable processor platform in Itanium.

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Whaa...?

"The established Unix operating systems change at a glacial pace these days..."

Er, compared to what, exactly...?

7. Tony Reeves

But The Boxes...

"Anyway, customers can now get an HP-UX license in a few hours from HP's replicated servers instead of waiting a few days for it to arrive by mail."

Presumably confirmation of online delivery will still be sent via hardcopy in a series of very large boxes. Otherwise HP customers won't see value in the license fees (which proper OS vendors don't charge for).

This topic is closed for new posts.