back to article Pirate Bay server becomes museum artefact

A server used by notorious BitTorrent tracker site The Pirate Bay that was seized by police has been added to Sweden’s National Museum of Science and Technology’s collection. The museum said today it has bought the server from The Pirate Bay for 2,000 kronor ($243). It’s understood the artefact has been added to the Stockholm- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

details

This is an IT website so i dont feel geeky asking .. "What kind of server was it? "...

My bet is on some kind of HP proliant since they are everywhere.... but it would be interesting if it was something more esoteric... like a Cobalt raq4.

2. DR

titled

It’s understood the artefact has been added to the Stockholm-based museum’s “Inspiration Imitation” display, which aims to to stimulate interest in finding out more about the area of intellectual propety rights." [sic]

Surely that should be "inspiration (L)Imitation" that's all copyright/IP rights and patents ever seem to accomplish.

3. Claire Rand
    Alert

would you...

use a machine that had been returned by plod?

without examining the hardware *very* closely to see what has been added...

not to mention the obvious requirement for new hard disks.

an auction or museum makes a good place for it

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Breaking News!

"Many are predicting that regardless of the outcome, the losing side will appeal the decision."

Yeah and bears shit in the woods but we knew that too.

5. Richard
    Thumb Down

SIC?

Without meaning to appear (overly) rude, but isn't it a little rich seeing 'sic' appended to a description from a foreign museum given the often parlous state of proofreading apparent within El Reg's own pages, to which the English language is meant to be native.

Just a thought init..

6. Adam Foxton

Wouldn't it be more appropriate

to leave a note on the stand saying "a perfect copy of this server can be found at..."

7. Stephen Stagg

Power + Connection

Now all we need is for the museum to host an 'interactive' display and give the box power and an internet connection.

8. Geoff Mackenzie

Depreciation

The authorities recently returned servers seized in January '08? I hope they paid for them - they've spent their useful lives in captivity at this point.

9. Dennis
    Thumb Up

I have a bunch of old servers they..........

Could give me a bunch of Kroner's. One even used to run Win95.

Let me know.

10. LaeMi Qian
    Pirate

So does this mean...

...that the museum will be connecting it to the internet to continue its famed function?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

state the ....

"Many are predicting that regardless of the outcome, the losing side will appeal the decision."

Shit no Sherlock

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@it would be interesting if it was something more esoteric

Cubix anyone?

13. Argus Tuft

i'd regard that

as a grade 2 marvel... but you did marvel - i distinctly saw you marvel...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Server OS?

Not a pirated copy of Windows by any chance...?

15. JC

Extremely Clever

Those clever pirates, moving their servers one by one to the museum where nobody will think to check whether they're still tracking torrents.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The Internet Is Forever...

Mirror mirror on the net, most the files r still around, I'd bet.

17. Gerrit Tijhof

No pictures?

Oh come on, give us some specs!

This topic is closed for new posts.