back to article D-Link creates home network starter kit

If you think that creating a home network’s an arduous task, then think again. Because D-Link’s launched a home starter kit that’s quite literally boasts plug and play simplicity. DLink_DHP303_01 PowerLine wall plugs from D-Link's DHP-303 starter kit The firm claimed its DHP-303 PowerLine HD Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bassey
    Thumb Down

Wow!

That's expensive. I got a generic starter kit from eBuyer for about £45 which was also Plug'n'Play. Have since added a 4-port switch of another brand and, again, no configuration required under Vista or Linux.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Can be done for half the price

I got two of these: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10957 to link my consoles (downstairs) to my main router (upstairs) - granted, they're 85Mbps units but they're also made by Solwise and are very good indeed.

Total cost: just under £50 including postage

Total configuration required: nil - fire everything up and both the PS3 and the 360 saw the interwebs as nicely as you like. Same applied with Windows and Linux boxes at work when we installed powerline networking at the MD's house (thick stone walls precluded use of wireless)

3. Elsie

Expensive?

Yes! But factor in the lack of hassle and the extra security these give you over wireless, then they are woth considering. Wireless networking is over-rated, painful to setup and maintain and downright flaky. Homeplug networking is beautifully simple - as long as you have decent home wiring!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait...

When will the Shortwave users rock up and complain? Or has D-Link used Notching to ensure that the frequencies the shortwave users want to use are not filled with noise?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like