back to article BSA hijacks Somali pirate hype

As the world's media continues to follow the scourge of piracy off the coast of Somalia, perhaps it's time to take another look at the label of "pirate" for copyright thieves. It's an oddly accepted title on both sides in the debate on illegal software and content. Sure, some have adopted the name in pseudo-jest while others …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yarr.

The problem with changing the name of internet piracy is that the pirates won't accept it. It's like asking hackers to change their name because it collides with what the media calls computer criminals.

2. Steen Hive
    Pirate

Conflate the two?

The whole point of mislabelling copyright infringement as "piracy" is to legitimise attacks on more important rights by conflating an unlawful act with an illegal one, surely?

Appears to be working just dandy too, judging by the amount of ip-tards that subscribe to this idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

There's lies, damn lies and statistics

There's also inflation, deflation and conflation.

4. Chad H.
    Thumb Down

I could so write the public service tv ad

This is a music company executive, because of piracy he has to use last years model learjet.

This is a Hollywood executive. He has to go home tonight to explain to his wife why they can only afford to eat caviar six nights a week.

This is an aging rock star. Because he never invested in a lesion like you should, he's going to have to sing for his supper, in front of millions of fans paying extortionate ticket prices.

This is the face of piracy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Hey, I know!

Let's send the BSA on an all-expenses paid cruise to Somalia, and they can tell us first-hand the difference between software piracy and REAL piracy... assuming of course they make it back. Tards...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Repeat after me

The BSA are a bunch of self aggrandizing twats. The closer in peoples minds they can make actual piracy and the use/uploading/sharing/etc etc etc of software the better off they are. After all it's far easier to wage war against "software pirates" as opposed to trying to wage war against "that pimple faced sixteen year old seeding torrents of Spore and X-Men Origins"

Paris cos even she could teach the BSA a few lessons on ethics.

7. AndrewG
    Thumb Up

A reponse I'd like to see

Hello, I represent the Somali fishermans guild and they object strongly to the BSA's blatent attempt to use our hard won branding to furtther their own political agenda. They also object to being linked to copyright infringers as a group, due to ehir extreme poverty.

My clients are willingo to accept a public apology and removeal of the offending material otherwise they will engage in their preffered form of resolving such matters which I'm told involves gutting your entire management team like fishes unless 2 million dollars is not provided within 30 days...

8. P. Lee
    Pirate

But what are the piratical connotations?

Long John Silver and Captain Jack Sparrow or a gang of marauding foreigners? Somalis in speedboats don't register as pirates - they're just another african militia on the news.

Truth be told, we like pirates. They have elegant ships, talking parrots, pieces of eight and mad sailing skillz. There is damsel who is rescued (from utter scumbags, a loveless relationship or perhaps her own haughtiness), true love is found and the bonds of convention and society's onerous expectations are broken, swapped for a simpler life of freedom on a paradise island. Financial requirements are met by liberating booty (always ill-gotten) from oppressors or discovering buried treasure which was owned by someone long dead. Its Zorro on the high-seas.

I'm not sure that the BSA have really thought this through. They may as well call themselves "Captain Bligh!"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Ironic Piracy

Its funny. BSA have kinda pirated their own video. They uploaded a recording of their flash video. There is a little play button that shows at the beginging of it.

http://global.bsa.org/faces/index.html

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What a bunch of stupid...

...arses.

Really.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

XP held to ransom.

Right, that's it. I'm taking the Somali method.

I'm going to keep using my pirate copy of XP. I'll keep using it until MS give in by giving me a free copy as the ransom.

Simples yeh.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arrrgh

(no pun intended)

"..unauthorized piece of software as a lost sale.."

This has pissed me off forever and a day. And if I were a software maker, I think I'd want my 'advocates' to use some rational statistics - as it is, the BSA does as much good for the software industry as Ann Coulter does for conservatives.

13. jake Silver badge

@AC 21:00 & others.

"The problem with changing the name of internet piracy is that the pirates won't accept it."

Whatever. It's copyright infringement. Calling it "piracy" doesn't make it romantic; the folks who do it are breaking the law regardless of the name they give it. (Please note that I think current law needs to be updated, given the reality that the copyright holders no longer have a monopoly on the distribution channels.)

"It's like asking hackers to change their name because it collides with what the media calls computer criminals."

Real hackers don't call themselves hackers, although some hackers bestow the handle on others. But I'll agree that "the media" (whatever that is) is pretty much clueless on the subject.

14. Christopher Ahrens
    Stop

Stop it already

Its not software piracy, it copyright infringement, and besides, the 'Pirates' in Somalia are Privateers, not pirates (They are 'Government' sponsored to go after their enemies, IE everyone else, pirates are in discriminate)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

ITS NOT PIRACY...

FFS the correct term is copyright theft.

Piracy is robbery committed at sea.

Guns for show, TCP/IP for a pro.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re : Yarr

"It's like asking hackers to change their name because it collides with what the media calls computer criminals."

Gaining unauthorised access to computers was called hacking way back in the 8-bit days. People whining, "I'm a hacker, not a cracker, stupid!" have always struck me as quite funny. The practice is hacking regardless of the end goal, and calling it such isn't a modern media misunderstanding of things.

17. Bob Boblowski
    Thumb Up

I have to agree

Strict enforcement of software anti-piracy laws (preferable with harsh sentences) must be the best thing ever to happen to open source software. Just imagine what all those milions of illegal Windows, MS Office or Photoshop would use if they actually had to pay for their software... Software piracy is IMO the no 1 reason for the lockhold of companies like Microsoft and Adobe on the IT business.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor taste

I hope this is not an advertising campaign, I might have to object to the ASA, using the death of the French ship captain in their ad campaign.

19. Richard
    Paris Hilton

Wrong parallel

I read an interesting article a while back noting that many Somalis only turned to piracy when European fishing vessels muscled in on the local fishing grounds thanks to some shady deals with the various factions in the region.

There's surely a more apposite parallel with the way grey imports are handled :o

Paris, because she's been conflated with the beautiful and interesting.

20. Random Noise
    Thumb Up

Up to $1m??!?

If they're giving out rewards for reporting piracy...

You boys should get down the Glasgow Barras.

Send my check to Random Noise c/o El Reg.

21. Juan Inamillion
    Coat

Making it attractive

Surely if the BSA count every piece of software as a 'lost sale', presumably at full retail price, then that's going to result in a huge figure especially if they use questionable mathematics to extrapolate it from seizures.

The sort of figure that piratetards then believe they're going to make by selling dodgy copies, when in fact they'll make £1.50 selling them from a holdall or boot sale - if they're lucky. In fact what they're really costing the industry is vastly LESS than the BSA are saying. Shot in the foot for the BSA if you ask me.

Heave to me buckos!

(Heave two back at the, I say)

/with the cutlass

22. Charles Smith
    Flame

Aye Aye Cap'n

As a whole I support the idea that people who put time and effort into developing software for sale should be rewarded. What I dislike intensely are the overpaid bully boy leeches of the BSA who make their money on the back of the fees paid to software companies. Their piggybacking on the news about pirates is an excellent example of why they should go on the same space craft as the Telephone Sanitisers.

23. James

Business Software Alliance ...

.. from the name this is an Alliance to help Businesses find the best Software for their work.

Again (climbing onto soapbox) surely they should be recommending Shareware and Open Source offerings rather than the super inflated (both price and disk space) stuff from the likes of Microsoft !!

24. John O'Hare
    Happy

@AC 21:36 GMT

"There's also inflation, deflation and conflation."

And then there's of course my personal favourite, conflagration...

25. Luis Ogando
    Stop

Violence??

"The BSA may claim the difference between the two crimes is just the level of violence.."

That'll be an interesting claim. Does copying any type of media actually constitute violence? Also, high-sea piracy also involves the taking and vandalism of actual, tangible entities. Copying media doesn't.

BSA = Bloody Stupid Arseholes!

26. al
    Paris Hilton

How hollywood and microsoft benefit from "piracy"

In US/europe piracy of movies / software makes some dent in the topline of these companies. Yes.

But the real clincher is how Hollywood and Microsoft have captured market in emerging markets without spending a penny [on marketing and distribution]. If not for pirated copies of windows; the Asia, Africa and South America would have long migrated to Linux. Also, they would have no idea who Brangelina are or why wolverine needs to be nicked.

Today Hollywood is securing a global future thanks to blatant piracy in last 15 years. Without piracy the reach of Hollywood would have been restricted to a westernized population residing big cities of the 3rd world.

So all the hoopla is to cut losses in US/EU by creating noise/guilt/fear- without letting it affect the free ride in rest of the world.

Paris, coz she likes a pirate's hardware.

27. Cameron Colley

How about "the changing faces of sharing".

I may be naive in this belief -- but I'm lead to understand that back when "Software Piracy" involved floppy discs or CDs there actually were criminals making money from piracy that they may use to fund other things, or at least earn in conjunction with drug money etc.

I also understand that there are still people out there selling "knock off DVDs" (as the patronising advert would put it) -- and it's not inconceivable to think that they could be linked to organised crime or terrorism.

Then, on the other hand, you have people giving away films without making a single penny -- yet these organisations (FACT, BSA, RIAssA,...) have to class it as the same thing or reveal their business models for the shams that they are.

28. Lionel Baden

that fellow needs

a screwdriver and some screwlok

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ ITS NOT PIRACY...

"FFS the correct term is copyright theft."

No it's not. Copyright theft would be *stealing* the copyright. As in, impersonating the copyright holder and collecting royalties due on said works.

The actual term is copyright *infringement*. You're not stealing anything. You're infringing on copyright.

Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that though.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I have a suggestion

Tell the Somali pirates that these execs think of them as the same sort of a threat as a bunch of fat nerds and 15 year old girls copying Justin's latest album. Just a bunch of wusses, effectively. Not brave, manly, AK47-weilding adonis-like privateers like they so clearly are.

Then pass the RIAA/MPAA's contact details (and probably some C4, lots of ammo and some US passports) to the pirates.

31. JP Strauss
    Pirate

@Luis Ogando

"Does copying any type of media actually constitute violence?"

only if you use shoddy equipment.

32. Sooty

levels of violence

The BSA think that the crimes are identical apart from the level of violence, when the level of violence is quite often what identifies something as a crime.

tapping someone on the shoulder and bludgeoning them to death with a brick are also identical apart from the levels of violence used.

however, somehow rape, murder, torture & theft strike me as being somewhat dissimilar to creating an identical copy of something. If you built yourself a 60inch flat screen tv, identical to one of sony's, for a fraction of the price, for your own use, no-one would really care. If you tried to start selling them, then it would become an issue.

33. DR

@Stop it already By Christopher Ahrens

Its not software piracy, it copyright infringement, and besides, the 'Pirates' in Somalia are Privateers, not pirates (They are 'Government' sponsored to go after their enemies, IE everyone else, pirates are in discriminate)

ummm, you;re wrong there.

originally privateers were employed by the government to target specific ships.

E.g. British privateers in the Caribbean would be targeting Spanish ships.

Pirates came after privateers, there a kind of freelance, go after anyone kind of bunch, who don't get government backing...

and since there is no government in somalia, I rather doubt that the Somalian pirates are government backed privateers...

anyway, haven't the relevant industries been calling music/software pirates pirates from the start in order to conjure up images of robbery?

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it really grates me too

when the BSA classes every count of illegitimate software as a "lost sale". It is in fact, quite the opposite.

I can guarantee you that 99% multimedia, art and programming profesionals within the industry today HAD to resort to using copied software at some stage. It has taken years for the software industry to cotton on to the idea of student discounts, and still to this day, most are still woefully optimistic about what a typical student can actually afford.

The simple fact is that no matter how much the BSA wave thier arms about screaming at all the illegally obtained copies floating around, the IT industries skills base would be dramatically reduced if these were removed.

This culture of greed was brought into stark contrast by my early days of computer use. I was an avid Amiga user for many years. When a new version of a product was released, the previous version was given away on the cover of a magazine. No 30 day trial, no crippleware, no abusive copy protection mechanism.

You always got the full-fat version, and as long as you were a private user, you could happily use all the features, just one version behind. By the end I had 5 database apps, 6 word processors, 3 raytracing apps, 4 DTP apps, 3 mod trackers, 2 midi apps, 1 realtime 3D editor, 5 graphics apps, 2 2D morphing apps, 2 sample editors, TO NAME BUT A FEW!

That is how I learnt my skills. The breadth of my knowledge compared to that of my x86 buddies

I was barely even familiar with the term piracy until I was forced to switch to x86 architecture, and discovered to my horror that to do even a tenth of what my Amiga was capable of (with a tenth of the cpu power, but that's by-the-by) would have cost me a fortune.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Wow....

Wow, just wow.... Words change over time and take on new meanings people. Pirate* is a good example. Remember that Computer used to be a job title, not a reference to your internet shouting box. Get over it, move on.

"Classy exploitation of current events there. It's like promoting fireworks safety by citing a recent suicide bombing in the news." Austin Modine, you have just killed another keyboard, add that to your scoreboard. I'll replace my keyboard and coffee out of my own budget.

* Wasn't it Lloyd's who defined pirates, some 3 hundred years ago, as operating near ports and Rogues as operating on the high seas?

36. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Home cooking is destroying the restaurant industry

Yeah, shame on you pirates, the hardship and suffering that you are forcing on music and film executives is shameful, look at poor Mel Gibson, who's 30 year marriage just broke up over all the stress film piracy is causing him, had to give his poor wife $350 Million as part of the settlement

And look at the effect piracy had on the most pirated film of all time "Dark Knight" because of piracy it has only managed to gross $1,001,921,825 in the past 8 months…...

Hang on, I think see a flaw in my argument...

BSA = Bollocks, Shove-it-up-your Arse

Paris, She can shove [Censored]

37. jake Silver badge

@AC 06:36

"Gaining unauthorised access to computers was called hacking way back in the 8-bit days."

No. It wasn't. It was called cracking. Most hackers can be crackers by definition, but most crackers haven't the brain power to even understand the concept of hacking.

"People whining, "I'm a hacker, not a cracker, stupid!" have always struck me as quite funny."

Me too, but not for the reasons you think. Not a single person I consider to be a hacker claims to be one, and (almost?) all of the idiots I've come into contact with that claim to be a hacker are skiddies who are actually crackers, and rather inept ones at that.

38. This post has been deleted by its author

39. Richard Stallman

Comment from Richard Stallman

I heartily support your rejection of the BSA's attempt to equate

forbidden copying with "piracy". I refuse to speak of "software

piracy", since real life piracy is generally committed using arms, not

using software.

However, the term "copyright theft" is equally misconceived. There is

no way to steal a copyright, since a copyright is not represented by

any specific physical object that one might steal. It is possible to

take someone's copyright through fraud. It is also possible to

intimidate someone into handing it over, as the major record companies

habitually do to young musicians. But theft of a copyright is

impossible.

Software theft is possible -- one could steal a CDROM, for instance --

but this does not involve copying, so it does not concern copyright

law.

What does concern copyright law is copying without authorization.

That may or may not be a crime, but it is never theft, as any lawyer

speaking seriously will confirm. To call it "theft" is to use that

word loosely in order to express an emotional position, on the side of

copyright holders against people who copy. I have a different view,

and the term I use to express it is "forbidden sharing".

This topic is closed for new posts.