back to article GooTube unfurls Universal video player, website

YouTube and Universal Media Group said today they've formed a pact to make their own separate music video website called "Vevo" featuring ad-funded UMG content. Under the deal, the Google-owned YouTube will handle the technology and infrastructure while UMG supplies the Lil Wayne and U2. Both companies will share advertising …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gary F
    Thumb Down

Taking this to its logical conclusion...

We'll end up with a different video site for each music publisher which totally defeats the benefit of having every video from everywhere in one place. The result will be less traffic watching music videos because not everyone will know which artist is with which publisher and some new artists will remain low key if they don't turn up in YouTube searches.

This is bad for music fans and bad for artists. Corporate fat cats just don't get it. I bet they have a secretary to write emails and operate their computer for them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"YouTube will handle the technology and infrastructure while UMG supplies the Lil Wayne and U2."

Don't you mean.. U2be?

All right, all right, I'm going...

3. Tom

Will it be the normal...

US only... this video is not available in your region crap?

4. Jeff

I have never chosen music based on publisher

And I'm not about to start now.

Avoiding music based on publisher on the other hand....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

I guess the success of this venture will depend on whether the youtube search returns results for both Vevo and Youtube (with Vevo at the top of the results I'm sure) or not.

If a normal Youtube search excludes all Vevo content, the this is likely to be big fail. But if the Youtube search directs the punters to the Vevo content, it will probably work...

Of course this is something that would be very easy to rectify if they get it wrong.

6. breakfast Silver badge
    Happy

Call that justification?

My interest was momentarily grabbed in the last few lines when I saw that YouTube had hit a wall with british royalty.

Imagine my disappointment when I realised this was just a disappointing line break.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like