back to article Apple bullish on iPhone refresh sales

Apple is apparently quite optimistic about its upcoming iPhone refresh, having ordered 100 million 8Gb NAND flash chips from Asian suppliers. According to a Thursday report by the Taiwanese market-watchers at DigiTimes, the chips were ordered mostly from Samsung. Apple's NAND grab, along with orders from Nokia and Sony, is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

its not cost preventing takeup

its the stupid practice of exclusivity for a network. I'd buy one tomorrow but not from o2. I would also buy an ipod touch if it had bluetooth.

Steve sort it out

2. captain kangaroo
    Paris Hilton

Hello

Everyone is too busy playing frizbie with their families to care wether or not Apple have ordered a bunch of chips for their next generation of whatevers...

The lack of entries here reminds me of two things...

The song at the start of "Why Don't You?"....

And whay didn't i book the day off work today?

Ha, anyway, my Mrs is on er way to the lakes and I;m getting paid double time with a day in Leau to read this...

Paris, because i bet she's got better things to do than work for a living...

3. David Conde
    Thumb Down

It's a bulk order get over it

This is hardly news. It's cheaper to buy in bulk especially if you can afford it and have lots of products that take flash memory so you know you can move them. Talk about a slow news day.

4. A

Doesn't sound like an iPhone refresh to me

Low density flash in large quantities would suggest something physically larger than an iPhone/iPod is planned.

I'm wondering whether they're going to go SSD for the desktop Mac range. That would require a lot of chips, and being desktop means that space isn't at a premium.

5. James Katt

8% of Teens is amazing!

8% of Teens having an iPhone is amazing!

You have to remember that Apple wanted 1% of the cell phone market.

Realize that Teens within 1-5 years become ADULTS!

Thus, Apple is actually grabbing for a HUGE amount of the total cell phone market, not just the smart phones.

Over time, Apple 's marketshare can grow easily to over 25% of the total cell phone market as more and more teenagers with iPhones become adults with iPhones, and those with other phones die away.

6. Vision Aforethought
    Jobs Halo

Apple are light years ahead

I'll be the first to critique Apple (they do screw up once in a while), but the iPhone (not the Mac or desktop OS X) really is 5 years ahead of the competition. When Apple announced the iPhone I believe they stated it had been 5 years in development. It shows. Today, I have acquired a Samsung Tocco UltraTOUCH 8MP camera phone. While the camera, video and radio are unique or way better than what iPhone offers, the GUI, while quite fun, is years behind where Apple were two years ago. I got to play with an iPhone yesterday again and as I scrolled through some Twitter feeds on it's slick smooth screen, I realised that it was very hard to argue against owning ANY other device. Even the top Blackberries, Nokias and Sony Ericssons have nothing that touches the iPhone's usability, stability and processing power. Ironically, I don't think enough people have toyed with one to realise this and Apple's marketshare could in fact become equivalent to that of the PC market that MS owns, IE, over 50%. Android, while offering creative possibilities to developers, fails as a 'solution' for the person in the street.

All said, if Apple fall over when it comes to DRM and application openess, another company with industrial and software design savvy could hone Android into something equal or better.

7. Lindsay Silver badge
    Thumb Down

On conclusion-jumping:

Apple sells more than just Iphones.

8. Danny Thompson
    Jobs Halo

Apple buys NAND

Where's the news in that? Apple depend on NAND for a huge chunk of their profitable business.

Go Apple for keeping the NAND business going

9. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Funny

They having problems shifting iPhone's at Carphone Whorehouse.

Go Apple - and stick it up ur arse.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like