back to article Nine-inch Asus Eee not doomed after all?

Asus may continue to sell some 8.9in netbooks - despite previous hints from senior management that the company might kill them off in favour of 10in models. According to Chinese-language newspaper the Economic Daily News, by way of DigiTimes, the firm’s decided to retain its 8.9in netbook line for the “procurement market”. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

HURRAH!

I for one, welcome the return of our 9 inch overlord.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Bemused

1 Stumble on a successful size and price

2 Increase the size

3 Increase the size

4 Kill original idea

... or have I missed something?

3. virushunter
    Paris Hilton

Any excuse...

It has been, how many, two years almost, and you still use that picture of Paris Hilton at the beach installing XP on her EEE?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Still good news...

Proud owner of a 900A, which I favoured over the 901 solely for the reduced size, I applaud the news, but I regret that Asus commitment to sub 10" netbooks is so limited. I can't be alone to hope for a decent screen size in a A5 package, can I ?

Those 10" netbooks are basic notebooks, they can't be hauled like a hardback novel along with a full laptop while commuting daily (and I'm sure many among us readers are facing the same dilemma, unwilling to use their corporate issued laptop for personal work while on the move).

And they're much more expensive to boot. My 900A is an appliance I'm ready to bin as soon as it gives up working, should I (heavens forbid) bang it a bit too hard. I certainly wouldn't be so light hearted carrying a 100 € more valuable laptop.

All things considered, I find it really odd that after opening a new valuable market with sub 10", linux based netbooks, Asus is ready to bail out so easily. First blow : linux models have become almost unavailable in retail outlets ; second blow : the line is now reserved to non-consumer markets. There's really something wicked in this strategy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

WARNING: Puerile, Sexist and Off-Topic

Glad to see the return of the blond Eee early-adopter. Bet she wishes she had waited for a 10"-er though

6. alex dekker

Obvious headline

"Shen ignores Benson and hedges his bets on netbooks"

Although of course some over-zealous corporate content filters might end up blocking it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like