back to article Go-Between actress backs McKinnon extradition fight

Oscar winning actress Julie Christie has joined the campaign to save UFO conspiracy theorist turned hacker Gary McKinnon from extradition to the United States. The star of Dr Zhivago and The Go-Between has joined supporters from the music business - former Police frontman Sting and Pink Floyd's David Gilmour - as well as other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lloyd
    Stop

Tsk

You neglected to mention Straw Dogs.

2. Steven Jones

Literary references

"The past is a different country, they do things differently there"

My favourite opening to a book, as it plays fast and loose with tense. However, one wonders if this article was written just to show that the author had read at least the first page of The Go-Between and can make a weak joke about it.

3. Sikas Aparat
    Boffin

@Llloyd: Tsk TSK

How is not mentioning a film with which Ms. Christie has no connection neglectful?

OTOH, Ms. Christie was in the excellent but weird "Demon Seed", which seems appropriate somehow...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Disgusting

What? Who cares if an actress supports him? Are gawp-mouthed "celebrities" taking over from trained judges as the arbiters of crime and punishment now? As for "Asperger's syndrome", every Internet teenager brags about having that. This guy clearly doesn't suffer from any deep, severe autism that prevents him from interacting normally with society.

5. g e

Demon Seed

Like Sikas said... THERE's the Julie Christie IT angle...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Immediate extradition

Can we not give the Septics our very own Wacky Jacky in exchange for Gary ?

@Lloyd - Susan George was in Straw Dogs

7. Red Bren
    Unhappy

@AC 11:05

Thank you for the diagnosis Dr. Coward! What other suggestions do you have? An intensive course of tickling for the chronically depressed?

8. John Bayly

What difference does asperbergers make?

"McKinnon's ranks of supporters have swelled since he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome"

It's ridiculous he's being extradited no matter what he may be diagnosed with.

9. Lloyd

I apologise

I'm a twat, getting my Demon Seed mixed up with my Straw Dogs (that sounds very messy).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I've said it before...

...but I'll say it again: Throw away they key!

11. FlatSpot
    Flame

promised further celebrity endorsements

Nice.. thats how we roll these days huh... how about celebrity juries and a phone in vote to decide if your guilty or not??

12. David
    Paris Hilton

I'll save the country millions....

"A judicial review on whether Home Secretary Jacqui Smith was correct...." NO! done dusted

Paris, as I'd enter through her backdoor and deny damaging it

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Hairy Plopper

Wasn't she in one of the Harry Potter films too?

I guess that's the Asperger support accounted for, you need that to read the turgid shite...

and presumably whatch the films as well

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, stop it.

Try him here and get it over with. Ideally sentence him to something involving custard.

15. Hans
    Pirate

Rendition of Sheep (des Moutons)

Would we let this happen if we were French?

No way Josè (or maybe that should be "pas ce soir Josephine" since Josè is obviously a bit Spanish). No, we'd be out there nuking sheep on the motorway, or blockading the port (don't ya just hate it when they get so possessive about a nice little after-dinner tipple)

Sorry to bring in a French Connection here. Oh btw that's another film Miss Christie didn't feature in, you bunch of friggin' CINETARDS.

However, it did feature a certain Gene Hack Man (now there's a tenuous link back to the topic) who could easily have been Jean Hackman and sound the same except, of course, in France where it would have ended up with a nasal inflection giving jēn

Anyway, the down side of this to McKinnon/Hack-man, must be the fact that all this legal dithering probably means he'll be too late to get into terrorist holiday camp at Guantanamera . . . (Guajira Guantanamera)

So he'll miss all the fun of water-boarding (a cross between water ski-ing and skateboarding, I assume) and lots of free flights to exotic resorts in Egypt, Syria and Morocco just for the sake of repeating the simple line "I don't know".

Hey, how easy is that quiz to win?

erm . . . now where was I going with this post . . .

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mckinnon

Let him come here to stand trial he broke the law and should pay the price. What are you afraid of, that they will make him an Obama cabinet head like a regular American criminal?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh gawd no!

Don't send him to the US, they have no concept of civil liberty and the protection of law! The police even routinely stop photographers from taking pictures! Oh no wait.....

18. Bounty
    Alien

Clearly UFO's are real, it's just a question of who hasn't been body snatched?

Dr. Bren, have you ever tried tickling therapy on depressed people? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090316055225AATsZmF

BTW I'm totally with you AC 11:05 If we find a greater number of actors who support extradition, can we have a motion and a vote to extradite him? Is there a laywer here who can clarify this? Do we elect actors or are they appointed by our governator? I'm assuming other famous people count. Where does Tom Cruise and Brittany Spears stand on this issue?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

They will get him one way or another.

Elvis and Tupac are behind this, mark my words. He got too close to the truth.

20. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

@@Llloyd: Tsk TSK

Also in "A For Andromeda". Most of which has been lost by the BBC.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

just get it over with

And then maybe the US can send dubya over here.

22. Steve B

Too Late Wacky...

This bunch of clowns obviously wanted this most dangerous hacker, Gary, out of the country and locked up so that there was no chance that he could hack into the government systems and expose the shenanigans going on there.

Now it is too late and enough of the snout in the trough info has been revealed to negate any threat that this hacker held so there is no longer any reason to cart him off in the dead of night.

Let the US prove the amount of damages to warrant such a serious extradition scenario or let them shut up.

Now that baby bush has gone there is also no longer the threat that such a hacker will uncover damning information about the old administration.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like