back to article Symbian Foundation: A brand that wants to share and talk

Holistic brand reconceptualisation has come to Symbian, or more accurately The Symbian Foundation, as the administrative rump of the British mobile software company is now known. Symbian still licenses Symbian OS, but since it has no engineers (1,000-odd development staff have joined new owner Nokia), Symbian was in need of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I used to work for Symbian...

...we got this kind of silliness all the time.

The world needs more action and less flim-flammery. If Symbian wants to stay ahead in a very competitive market, it needs to sort out Symbian C++, not spend their cash on re-/designing logos.

At least they saved some cash by employing drunken chavs off of an art degree.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

My eyes! My eyes!

Please, God, tell me that this is a late April Fool.

I've seen toddlers come up with better - all that's missing is a bit of bold Comic Sans and they'll have ticked all the 'how not to do it' boxes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooops ... in all fairness ...

I missed the 'art therapy' bit - still doesn't excuse the logo being godawful though.

On the other hand, the 'fish with ear trumpet' and RoboDuck[tm] are works of genius.

4. Roger Williams
    Happy

@Simon

Then you'll love the 45 other pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbianfoundation/ ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Man crouching in a toilet pan with robotic arms"

I quite like the Heath Robinson bits of it.

But my favourite is the "man crouching in a toilet pan with robotic arms":

(in the background of: ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinelife/3283717305/

6. Michael
    Thumb Up

I agree with Simon Ward

RoboDuck is awesome.

They should have that as their logo.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: @Simon

"Then you'll love the 45 other pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbianfoundation/ ..."

Some of those illustrations are incredibly cool. So much so that for the first time in nearly 15 years I have a desktop wallpaper which is predominantly white. In fact, the quality of the illustrations make the final choice of logo even more puzzling.

RoboDuck and Banana Machine FTW! :-)

8. Michael

Actually, the more I look at it

the more I think of Honda adverts.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharing!

The only sharing I'm interested in here is the Symbian foundation sharing its drugs with me, because the stuff is obviously good.

10. Markie Dussard
    Happy

Art Theft

I used to work for Symbian too, and I felt just like the victim of a "chipmunck ontroller" (sic).

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that they raided an art therapy class for their ideas - probably the alma mater for some of their engineering managers (they too have learning difficulties). Still, I'm pretty sure they used to employ at least one or two people capable of spelling complex words like 'tentacle' and 'colander' correctly.

The rest were just substandard code monkeys who thought they were going to get rich from an IPO.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like