back to article UK transport minister's website pwned

The website of junior transport minister Paul Clarke was hacked over the weekend by apparently motiveless mischief-makers. Defacers scrawled digital graffiti on labourisworking.com, which is run by the Under-Secretary of State at the Department of Transport. A message on the site reads "HACKED BY Red Virus. just for fun. I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith Gold badge
    Happy

labourisworking

With 2m+ unemployed?

And not even hosting in the UK?

Clearly asking for it.

2. Greg

Not a very good hacker

Look at the state the stupid script kiddie has made of the resulting page.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hosted in the USA?

Why is Labour (a BRITISH political party) hosting one of its sites in a foreign power? I guess it just goes to show how little Labour care about UK business.

4. Harry
    Alert

"for reasons that are not immediately obvious"

The immediately-obvious reason would probably be that the site was restored from an ages-old backup that was created in the bad old days when webmasters actually thought it was perfectly acceptable to create non-standard web pages that were only viewable in sub-standard non-W3c-compliant Microsoft browsers.

5. g e

"The site has been restored for IE users"

A pretty obvious testing regime, then.

Fail.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Oi Leyden! A quick word about your JPGs.

Given that it's not an in-line thumbnail, what really was the point of shrinking it down to the point of illegibility?

7. Naich

Platform

The server string is:

Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

so the platform looks like some kind of *nix.

8. General A. Annoying
    Alert

"remains a jumble for Firefox fans for reasons that are not immediately obvious."

Possibly due to them using completely clueless numpties to 'sort it out'?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quote of the day

'It's unclear what platform labourisworking.com is running on'

In so many ways.

10. Andy Livingstone

How did they find out?

Did someone actually visit a site like that???

11. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

PHP SHell?

Just looks like some kiddie loaded up a php/asp shell from RFI or from the same host that the site is on.

Then just edit the header files that are included intot he page with some fucked up html

12. EnricoSuarve
    Pirate

All your datas is safe to us

Remember kids that the data they will be collecting in their various ID, DNA, NHS, justbecausetheycan databases will be perfectly secure and stored in the UK

Just like the DVLA data which was stored.. oh wait

Like the child benefit info which... oh yeah

err like the MP expenses data?.. nope that doesn't work either

Pensions?.. that's another no

Our government and data security - epic fail

Our government, data security and all yours datas - truly epic fail of mind bogglingly awesome galactic levels of clusterfuck proportions

NO2ID

13. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Hosted in the.....

USA !!! So as usual Labour fuck us all from all angles. They are quite happy to scrounge and fraudulently take money by deception from taxpayers but our own Country's webhosts are not good enough for them. Why not ?. Fuck Labour and god help any Labour member canvassing for votes in my area in next GE.

14. Mark York
    Alert

Hosted in the.....

Meanwhile from Canada, the jobserve.ca (as well as US, Aus) website are hosted in Blighty & has been taken out by the numpties in Ilford working on the Olympic venues.

15. foo_bar_baz
    Thumb Up

"wrong kind of ... on the line"

Brilliant. It's only Monday and we've already got the pun of the week.

16. John Smith Gold badge
    Happy

@Mark York

Ah, but is Jobserve an official government site?

If it is that is pretty staggering. Jobs (and enquiries about same) from the biggest (or 2nd biggest) economy in the world (with arguably the best net access) hosted in a country which clearly isn't.

OTOH if its commercial that's just BAU.

Thanks for the thought. It's put a spring in my step.

17. NoOnions
    Happy

This put a big smile on my face!

He's my MP. He was at my local shopping centre and so I had a chat. He gets a few points from me for being there (never seen an MP out and about before) but he lost them all when he opened his mouth. His listens and then ignores everything and tells you that a worse service is in your favour. In my case this was about the High Speed link to London. Who in Medway works in North London? Why cut our normal service for something we do not want? Anyway, rant over! Karma is at work!

NoOnions

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like