back to article US Customs gets kill-droids for Caribbean

The US Customs service has announced plans to acquire a fleet of five tonne flying death droids, to supplement its already terrifying arsenal of all-seeing "Eye of Sauron" Wi-Fi radar towers, handheld puke rayguns, and airport mind-probes. Flight International reported on Saturday that the American bag-rummagers would acquire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People try to get us down

"The Reaper is designated as an "unmanned hunter/killer system". It can lift almost two tonnes of ordnance etc"

Imagine how much contraband one of these things could lift. It would be a risk-free means of transporting slaves, body parts, illegal items and so forth, and the cost would be insignificant for a big-time smuggler. Once the operator of this drone has amassed sufficient funds he could fit mining lasers, or perhaps a galactic hyperspace.

2. Dillon Pyron

And the response time is?

So these drones can spot the illegals crossing the border from miles away and get close enough to get very nice pictures. But by the time Border Patrol gets their, the illegals will be in Phoenix, having a cervasa and laughing at the toothless Reaper.

My tax dollars at work.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But this is all mind games for the US citizen ...

It might be true that the US Customs are acquiring these toys, but whether they ever intend to use them as hyped up in this press release is entirely another matter. The current negotiations for the implementation of the North American Free Trade Area are intended to reveal a North American Union, without borders (step by step, just like the state called Europe is emerging from what was ostensibly a free trade agreement). These toys are just part of the smokescreen to hide the politicians' intent until the deal is done, in spite of the voters' wishes.

4. E

No, no, it's all about extraordinary rendition

Two tonnes capacity would let them move logs, excuse me, lots, of political prisoners, ahem, 'illegal combatants' to and from Guantanomo and bases on the mainland, excuse me homeland (or is that fatherland) with pretty much zero likelyhood of media detection.

5. Patrick S Lasswell

CBP RoE Very Restrictive

I spent two weeks with the Customs and Border Patrol Air and Marine officers performing their duties earlier this summer, and their Rules of Engagement are not what you think they are. For instance, because of certain due process restrictions, they cannot delete drug smugglers with precision guided munitions...ever.

I can say that people decrying the use of aircraft and high performance maritime craft are utterly unclear on how big the US border is. Or perhaps they are unclear on how the horizon works. Spend some time trying to locate kayaks at night in open water and you'll find yourself looking for every tool you can get.

Here's the other thing, a lot of our critical infrastructure is right up near the border and on the coasts. If we aren't looking for smugglers, we cannot find terrorists. If you know a way to find bloody handed murderers before they strike without looking for them, please share it. Otherwise, let the people protecting the country do their jobs. They do pretty good, despite bureaucratic nightmares that would cross a BoFH's eyes.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/

6. Patrick S Lasswell

E, stop taking your epynonymous product

Using a Predator as a passenger aircraft is just silly. We have passenger jets for that. Given the media capacity to detect regular flights, we already have zero likelihood of detection.

In any case, why does CBP need a drone for this? Or are you just so angry that the whole thing makes you see red?

My experience with CBP officers is that they are honest law enforcement personnel who are trying to do a hard job with limited resources. Have you ever talked to a CBP officer?

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Have you ever talked to a CBP officer?

Never without a bag over my head.

8. Patrick S Lasswell

If that's what you need to get dates

It's nice that you're taking an interest in our law enforcement community. Sorry about your appearance issues, but you seem to have adjusted.

This topic is closed for new posts.