back to article Conficker suspect brought to book in Beavertown?

While the rest of the world bit its nails in terror that the Conficker worm would somehow rise up and swamp the internet on 1 April, Russian wags seized on the opportunity to craft a subtle April Fool joke. A story by Russian news agency RIA Novost that police in Belarus had arrested a pair of suspects looked plausible enough …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

lolz

Wow, that was a hilarious april fool they played there.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious Russian name.

And Kandyba?

3. Andrew Moore
    Coat

And...

If you look on their web forum there's a lot of upper case cyrillic ranting from one Sara Beeovitch

4. EnricoSuarve
    Coat

Russians have a Scunthorpe?

Poor bastards

Mine'll be the flame-retardant one...

5. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Joke

re:comedy equivalent of Scunthorpe

So, like Rakfannynov then?

6. Sillyfellow
    Thumb Down

not funny

people should not be making jokes and disinformation about this very serious problem.

7. amanfromMars Silver badge

Conficker... the Al Qaeda False Flag Operation of the Binary World?

"not funny ... people should not be making jokes and disinformation about this very serious problem." ...... By Sillyfellow Posted Thursday 2nd April 2009 12:47 GMT

And that very serious problem would be exactly what, Sillyfellow? A supposed worm which apparently does nothing or nothing malicious. Although of course, that is not to say that IT cannot crash corrupted systems but that would be a Public Service and not a serious problem either.

8. Igor Krein

Just to make it clear

This is the original source: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=ru&js=n&u=http://webplanet.ru/news/security/2009/03/31/conficker.html&sl=ru&tl=en (there is more "information" here ;))

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Seriously now

I don't like to brag but it wasn't created by the Chinese or by the Russians.

I made it at home in an attempt to eventually land a job as a highly paid IT security contractor.

It's a bit too high profile for that though, so I'm off to write a less nasty one that'll help get my foot on the ladder.

Mine's the "L33T" one with the source code, hacker magazine and "Big Book of Lies" in the pocket.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

re: not funny

"people should not be making jokes and disinformation about this very serious problem."

You're right, people should be wiping their machines and installing Linux on them to avoid these problems.

But they're not, so apparently nobody fucking cares about this "very serious problem".

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait...

...a Russian web site printing dubious news? Say it isn't so...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"from one Sara Beeovitch"

That would be "Sara Beeyova" (Сара Биёва)...

13. Juan Inamillion

Oh come on....

"Lieutenant Andrew Kandyba...

Andy Candy Bar?

Perlease.... Bit more coffee needed at Vulture Central, methinks.

14. Bounty

decrypt skype?

I like the subtle jab at the CIA or whatever. Didn't they post a big reward for anyone that could decrypt skype calls?

15. Kieron McCann

NSFW

It would have been good to know that the link to the Babrusk web site is most certainly NSFW

This topic is closed for new posts.