back to article PS3 players prefer gaming to bonking

A survey has discovered that almost three-quarters of PlayStation 3 owners would happily swap a night of passion with their partner for time to try a newly released game. The silly survey quizzed 1130 British blokes who own a PS3. If you’re wondering why Xbox 360 owners weren’t asked, it’s because the research was commissioned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May have something to do ....

.. with them being single, was the question "do you have a partner" asked before and how many of them said they would prefer games!

Not saying anything against ps3 owners here before the flames, its about crappy surveys like this that don't ask the proper questions!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Proves my theory...

...Sex is like oxygen. It's no big deal until you stop getting it!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

the title should have been: BRITISH PS3 players

as the body of the article shows

by the way - long life to PS3 - does anyone knows if PS3 backward

compatible with PS2 will be finally (re-) launched (again)

Signed: PS3 Italian player.

P.S. Female Partner of the aforementioned PS3 British player can get in touch with me

(if moderator allows a next post with my email :-) ) to discuss about their problems

and find together a satisfactory solution :-D

4. Luis Ogando
    Thumb Down

Utter Bollocks!

I own a PS3 and was asked to take part in this survey, but I couldn't because I was shagging my missus at the time.

Actually, if you do it doggy-style you can BOTH play and shag at the SAME TIME....!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

How many

actually had that choice in the first place (apart from a quick menage-a-cinq with pam and her 4 sisters)?

6. Yorkshirepudding
    Stop

busy pwning

thats rot the reason ps3 owners and prolly most gamers are missing a bit of rumpy is because they never go out!

as for 360 owners? well they are just angry people in general....

7. adam
    Stop

What?

If this is true then PS3 owners need to sort out their priorities!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

xbox360 users?

I think they would have answered the same (if they were old enough to have a partner).

my girlfriend left last weekend while I was in the middle of a good PS3 session and haven't been back yet...... I wander how long does it take for her to bring me food? ;-)

9. Richard
    Boffin

32 percent?

32% of those in relationships. What percentage of the 1130 people fell into that category.

Signed

Humanity Against the Reporting to Readers of Useless and Misleading Percentages, Honestly

HARRUMPH

10. John Scott
    Joke

Partners?

They managed to find 1130 PS3 owners who had partners, impressive!

11. Scott Evil
    Paris Hilton

Noobs

Never pass up a shag

12. Paul Murphy

Err .. does not compute

>A survey has discovered that almost three-quarters of PlayStation 3 ...

Ok so thats around 75% then?

>Of those respondents in relationships, 32 per cent .....

so thats around 32% then?

So what's missing from this story? presumably the men that don't have partners?

Or am I missing something?

ttfn

13. Martin

quite right!

Sex is boring!

Well, easy to get both in in one night, 5 minutes of sex, the rest playing games......

14. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

They prefer games to sex because

They have noone to have sex with. That's my verdict. ;-P

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Shock revelation!

Gamers are sad b'stards who would rather biff imaginary hookers than real women?

This is news?

Do you think Paris has a PS3?

17. Simon Neill

A better interpretation....

31% of ps3 players are incapable of getting sex and thus don't actually have a choice.

Let me just put on my running shoes....

18. Peter Kay

Oh dear

I shall probably not be the first person to point out that if you get more pleasure from playing with your joy stick/mashing your button(s) than having someone play with your stick of joy/mash your button(s), then you're doing it wrong..

Also, fifty quid for a game? Taking the piss surely..

I suppose it could be a vague improvement that it explodes the myth of gamers/computer users not having partners, but 'I couldn't be arsed to talk to them and find out what they like' is not exactly an encouragment to getting someone to date you.

19. Mart
    Thumb Down

misleading?

"Of those respondents in relationships, 32 per cent said they would prefer to play videogames than sleep with their partner."

So how can you put up a headline that implies the general answer from PS3 owners was they would prefer a bonk when actually the higher percent of owners would not prefer a bonk???

sincerely,

offended PS3 owner

(oh and X360 owners weren't asked as they don't have partners!)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what I want to know is...

how many of the respondents lied about actually HAVING someone available for bonking? Quite a few of the console gamers I know are just as übernerdy as WoW geeks and have never touched an actual breathing naked person other than themselves...

21. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Other perspectives...

"Too hard to please"? Really, some of these people must have bitchy right hands!

What could one conclude here? That these avid and dedicated gamers are so socially inept that they choose horrible mates or lovers? Would that be subconscious or deliberate in order to help further their gaming fervor?

Or are they so distracted by games that they make poor social decisions? Did the researchers get to see pictures of the gamers' companions to not only prove existence, but to also get an idea of which might be the case?

But then, perhaps the long, drawn-out thrill of playing co-op beats the short, one-on-one disappointment which is their sex life, or prior sex life.

Not that I would know about that. I cannot play any of the modern console games as they quickly trigger headaches. Sex, on the other hand, is a good headache relief.

Paris, might be better than a video game.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

They're doing it wrong!!

I have a PS3 and a girlfriend...

I know which one I'd rather spend the night with, and it certainly isn't the PS3!!

JM

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

50 pounds?

"If given £50, some 41 per cent of respondents said they’d use the cash to buy a videogame.".

So what you're telling me is that people who own PS3s will sometimes buy games for it? What valuable research this must of been.

As for these guys settling for a good game over a good bonk, that seems like a good way to go about the partner in question finding a man who knows how to get down to real business.

24. Nick

Statistics?

I thought that 32% was somewhat of a minority.

Surely the title should be "Most PS3 players prefer shagging"

25. Chris

For most of them

their partner is "Rosey Palmer", so it's understandable.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Eh?

>Other guys simply said sex was “not as much fun as a night playing videogames”.

To quote (with correct spelling) a certain cat related site, "You are doing it wrong".

Do some reading, get some advise, get some practise, and if you still can't get it right, then immerse yourself in your videogames and release your partners for those of us who can!

27. Shonko Kid
    Happy

Hmmm...

I guess that explains why I don't own a PS3, f'nar!

28. An ominous cow herd
    Flame

Hmmm....

Maybe that's why they bought the PS3 in the first place....

29. Nate
    Alert

Say what?

Quote, "Other guys simply said sex was 'not as much fun as a night playing videogames'."

Clearly, they're doing it wrong.

Now, if the question was "would you postpone sex in order to defeat a boss?" I would have to answer in the affirmative.

30. Matt

Well, after 20 years of marriage,

I still prefer sex over my PS3. Although I'm usually able to find time for both!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

In other news

32% of respondents were virgins.

32. Alan Esworthy
    Thumb Up

I take quiet satisfaction...

...in the fact that these people are taking themselves out of the gene pool all by themselves (literally).

33. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Married to a gamer

Just put the strategy guide on her back and combine the two.

34. Graham Jordan

Can kind of see where they're coming from

10 minutes of forced foreplay, 5 minutes bouncing around on top of someone only to finish off sweaty with dried cum all round your knob.. Not attractive. Then you've got to talk about stuff afterwards. Who wants to talk?

I prefer the DIY job myself. Less messy, only takes a few minutes, I never have to worry about my hand enjoying it... Good times.

I think I need a new girlfriend.

This isn't going to get posted is it? Woe is me.

35. Liam

hmmm

as someone said, sex only becomes such a big thing when you arent getting any. if you are getting plenty then its not an issue.

the question is also slightly weighted:

a quick 10 minute session on a ps3 or a shag? shag wins.

all nighter ps3 session with beers and doobies and mates, or a quick shag? ps3 session wins.

quick shag with your mrs and a couple of her mates? shag(s) win

quick shag with a new stunner (i.e. someone you havent knocked boots with before) or gaming session - stunner wins.

maybe as im older i dont see the young single aspect of video gaming. me and all my mates with PS3 are all with girlfriends/wives. its my experience that the xbox seems to be the console of choice for the younger/single guys. that might be as we all come from ps1 backgrounds. remember, the playstation made consoles cool. my mrs loves the ps3, depending on the games.

i would also guess that the single saddos would be more likely to go for the nooky option. i know when i was 15 games didnt stand a chance against the promise of a bit of nooky. its more likely those of us in long relationships dont see sex as something that special any more? also, im sooo lazy :)

@"I still prefer sex over my PS3." - noooo! the shiney black shows up all the splurge marks ;) use a bed/sofa/carseat like the rest of us!

@ Graham Gordon - lmao!

36. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ Graham Jordan

5 minutes? That long? Including the pizza?

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Graham Jordan

Looks like somebody called your bluff...

38. Rob
    Thumb Up

I used to disagree, but....

.... for the time being I'm back to a preference of gaming over shagging seeing as my preference of shagging over gaming has got the missus up the duff ;)

(Yay I've asserted my manly-ness with that comment and can now stop bragging)

They should ask daytime WoW players as there a number who are housewives filling in the hours between looking after the little'uns, would love to know what their response would be.

39. J-Wick
    Thumb Up

@Liam

Actually, you left out 'all night shagging session with mrs'. Or at least something closer to an hour or two than 5 mins. I'd go for that over the PS3. However, since I don't get either, it's a moot point.

And anyway by 'an hour', I mean '2 or 3 30 second bouts interspersed with other intimate acitivities over the course of an hour', but you get my drift...

40. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Right then

Can the people who responded that sex was “not as much fun as a night playing videogames” please be sterilized. Immediately if not sooner, for the good of all man kind. It's obvious they are totally deficient and not fit to breed. Now given that answer do I expect they will ever get the chance to breed? Not likely, however one can never be to careful.

BTW the whole "getting it regularly so it's not as important" line is sure sign that either A: you're doing it wrong or B: need to find a partner with a pulse.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Well, after 20 years of marriage

"I still prefer sex over my PS3"

Okay, (with mind on boggle mode) - which page of the Kamasutra (Digital Edition) is this from?

Coat icon, because mine is the dirty Mac...

42. Ian Michael Gumby
    Joke

Evolution in Action...

The title says it all.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

speaking pollish

This strikes me as about as scientific as the "password for chocolates" poll that crops up now and then. In fact, this may well be the male portion of that sampling pool. If so, there should be a small decrease in the number of the next generation willing to give its password away from chocolate.

One small step for a man, one really small step for mankind.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many ...

How many adults are sad enough to spend any largish amount of time playing video games instead of having relationships? Seriously, get out there and grab a large chunk of life ... You only have a few years on this muddy rock, make the most of them!

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About a girl

I need a PS3

I do and my MTV

I've got Wii and Xbox too

I don't think you'll have a clue

I'll play demos while

Sony coder try

But I can't see you every night

Free

I do

46. Andrew
    Paris Hilton

This...

...had to be researched? Kind of speaks for itself, donnit?

47. jake Silver badge

@How many ... (AC 19:07)

That wasn't anonymous, that was jake ... One of the cats must have trodden on the trackball or mousepad again. I never post AC on purpose.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What?!?!

Their gf's need to tell them to:

"Harden the F@%k up!!"

I have the perfect relationship though; my wife is an early to bed early to rise kinda person, so I can give her a good shagging early in the evening, cuddling her until she falls asleep (if she isn't asleep by 8:30pm it's a miracle), and then go play the new game. In fact, this is exactly what I did this week (finally bought Assassins Creed for the PS3 on Monday - TBH I only play until around 1am as I've got a day job).

As for the survey respondents saying their gf's were too hard to please - maybe if they didn't play the games ALL night, they might actually have a libido and pleasuring their women might not be such a chore. Lazy gits, I bet they sit down to pee!

49. Mr Brush

*Sigh*

When are you luddites going to realise that gaming isn't the realm of spotty 13 year olds any more?

The game industry is rapidly catching up with the movie industry in terms of turnover. The time and money spent on the development of top end titles is staggering.

Gaming is enjoyed by folks of all ages and sexes from all walks of life. For example, a normal online session with my regulars includes a GP, several military types and a couple of code monkeys. Ages ranging from mid-20s to late 40s. I also know a 64 year old guy who is a keen gamer.

It's a pefectly vaild pastime, and IMO is far better than monging out in front of the pap that is served up by our pitiful TV service thesedays.

End Rant

FWIW, I normal service the wifely needs then pop back downstairs to do my gaming.

50. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.