back to article Halo 3 hits one million pre-orders

Halo 3 has reached one million pre-orders in North America alone, making it the fastest selling pre-ordered game in history. Over a month before it's set to hit shelves, the eagerly-awaited title has set a new precedent for the video games market, according to Microsoft. "What we've experienced is nothing short of phenomenal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Kilpatrick

Legendary...

Amazingly, the Legendary edition appears not to contain all the extras from the Limited, so you pay a considerable premium for the plastic helmet-shaped case. The Limited definitely seems to be the most interesting version - which if there are this many pre-orders, makes me suspect it won't be all that limited ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...on par with major event films

What Microsoft seem to have forgotten is that some major event films, even those with huge marketing budgets and tie ins with things like burgers, soft drinks etc. turn out to be total turkeys.

Also is 1 million pre-ordered copies in the US really pushing "video game entertainment into the forefront of mainstream culture"? The last Harry Potter book took 1.4 million in US pre-sales - from amazon.com alone. Amazon's worldwide pre-sales were 2.2 million

3. Mark Rendle

Confused

How did Halo ever manage to become this popular? The original was one of the dullest games I've ever played, and I've played a few.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Imagine if they had a Wii version

With the Wii hand controllers, the nunchucks to steer vehicles while the main controller aim weapons.

Now *that* would be something.

5. Ivan Headache

Halo 3 hits one million pre-orders

No it doesn't.

It hits one million orders.

The prefix is completely irrelevant.

If I phone for a pizza to be delivered immediately, I have order a pizza.

If I phone for a pizza to be delivered tonight, I have ordered a pizza.

If I phone for a pizza to be delivered on Friday, I have ordered a pizza.

If I order a pizza to be delivered on Christmas day - I have still ordered a pizza.

Pre means to do something in advance. An Order is an oral or written request for something to be made, supplied or served.

So, to order something in advance of ordering it is impossible.

Please add pre-order to Lappie and mobe and all the other stupid words.

Cheers. Ivan

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Edition-Mania

Yawn. It is just another pathetic shooter, with the added bonus of your ears being filled with the pointless babble and slur of 3m angry adolescents humping corpses. Also, I think it would be appreciated if Microsoft could spare us from spreading its edition-mania to games, as the world is drowning in superfluous crap already.

7. Sir Runcible Spoon

Halo 3

Woopee doo.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three different versions ...

That will be the standard edition including a plastic CD case, a game CD and a manual for $60

The limited edition including a plastic CD case, a game CD and interactive XBOX 360 disc - like a computer game is not interactive enough but this one is specifically interactive and interactive with your XBox 360 too, just incase 300 hours of killing stuff isnt interactive enough for you. Maybe it interacts with your XBox 360 by getting jammed in the drive or something so you are forced to do something other than stare at a screen and give yourself RSI in your thumbs - You also get a book with descriptions of all the creatures you will find in the game - This is presumably so you have something to do with your day once your interactive disk has interacted with your Xbox 360 console and it now has the red halo of doom flashing on the front. Oh it costs $70

There is also the legendary edition wich comes with all of the above but also comes with a legendary DVDwhich has content relevent to the legendary edition - At $130 a pop one can presume it is a DVD containing footage of what the shareholders of Bungie did on their extended holiday in the Bahamas, a look around Bill Gates new private Jet and photos of all the development teams new exotic sports cars that they bought thanks to "Legendary" idiots spending $130 on a bloody computer game. Oh you also get a plastic helmet as well. One presumes that if you dont feel like a twat after spending $130 on a console game you can pop the helmet on a well and trully look one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grrr...

I'd like to play Halo 2 on PC, but as they're only releasing it for their Vista OS, it will be a long time before I'm in the market for either Halo 2 or 3. I don't like being blackmailed into buying an OS which, quite frankly, I don't want or need.

Still, it doesn't sound like they'll miss my custom.

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'm with Finnbar on that one

I do not have a console at home, so I've put a blanket over my hopes of playing Halo 2 for years. Now it's out, but only on Vista. Sure, Microsoft, take me for a moron (we all know you do). Crysis is coming out on XP and Vista and you want to lure me to Vista with a game that's years out of date already ? Frankly, all that gaming I've done has not yet burned out my neurons, as you seem to think. Besides, DX10 is so artificial that my sides hurt from rolling on the floor laughing about it. You'll be putting DX10 in XP soon enough, I wager, especially given the dismal uptake of the latest bloatware you're desperately trying to shovel down our throats.

So totally outdated Halo 2 is finally on PC - albeit Vista only - and I'm supposed to get excited about Halo 3 ? That will be available on PC when again ? In 2015 ?

Man, 2015. I can only dream of what the sequel to Crysis will be by that time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: The prefix is completely irrelevant.

Ivan, your comparison is flawed. Your pizza you ordered for Christmas delivery wasn't pre-ordered, it was ordered.

Now if you ordered a pizza to be delivered ASAP, and no pizza had ever been made before or perhaps the restaurant you ordered it from is still under construction, that would be a pre-order.

12. Tom

Halo 2 isn't outdated

Sure, Halo 2 came out on the XBox years ago but the PC version isn't just a port; I was under the impression they redid all the graphics as well as some other things?

13. Pete

Halo 2 on PC

Will install on XP, it doesn't need DX10 to play. If you want multiplayer however, thats where you will need Vista. But there are plenty of other, better multiplayer games on the PC anyway so I don't know why you'd bother anyway.

14. Ivan Headache

Pizza

"Ivan, your comparison is flawed. Your pizza you ordered for Christmas delivery wasn't pre-ordered, it was ordered."

I know, I said it was ordered.

The next bit doesn't make sense. If the restaurant has been built yet, how can I pre-order my pizza?

Unless of course the restaurant is pre-built.

cheers

Ivan

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Ivan Headache

Ivan, let me give you a valid "pre" - how about pre-pubescent? Such are your comments that really add nothing to the debate...

Anyway, I'm kind of with the rest of you - nothing more it seems than massive hype to generate interest in a dull and monotonous product. If Microsoft are saying that 1m pre-orders is pushing "video game entertainment into the forefront of mainstream culture" then it really says something bad about mainstream culture as at last count there were something like 7bn people in the world and most of them get on fine without the slightest interest in Bungie, Halo or this continuous crap spewed out from MS.

My guess is that it's a desperate attempt to generate interest in a product that will pass out of the spotlight just as soon as it arrived - leaving all but the most hardened, desensitized morons disappointed that once again the hype has outweighed the actual product.

16. Justin Miller

Re: Imagine if they had a Wii Version?

Woudn't work as halo 3 will be very graphics intense and the Wii wouldn't be able to handle it. Maybe the next nintendo console might but for now a game like halo 3 wont ever get on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.