back to article Honda creates thought-controlled android

Remember Asimo, Honda’s stair-climbing android? It's back and this time the robot can be controlled by human thoughts. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com Collaboration between Honda’s Research Institute of Japan, Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International and the Shimadzu …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Worth

/me remembers....

.....Firefox.....not the browser but the film with Clint Eastwood and a fighter jet that could only be effectively flown by somebody capable of thinking in Russian.

All of a sudden it seems less stupid.....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The trio claimed the BMI technology is roughly 90 per cent accurate."

OK... what exactly does this mean? That if you think, "Move my left arm up 10 inches", it might move up 9 or it might move up 11? Or does it mean that 10% of the time it will move the right leg backward 10 inches instead? Hmm...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A friend of mine...

...has actually been working on Asimo for the past several years. Now I have final proof that he wants to build a huge Robot to fight the aliens that will invade Japan "very soon now(tm)" ;)

This tecnology could actually be quite useful for prostetics too, btw.

4. Steve
    Paris Hilton

yay

We can have a thought powered light switch

Paris - Becuase in a world of thought she would be buggered

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"getting smarter"?

So how in your estimation is Asimo "getting smarter"? A remote controlled device is still a remote controlled device....this is not a story about artificial intelligence.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold on...

...how do you know what the guy in the hair dryer is thinking?

Man looks constipated.

Robot shuffles right.

Press droid: clearly human subject was thinking about moving right. A triumphant success for Honda, Japan and the Emperor!

Man thinks 'hold on, I was hoping they wouldn't take photos of me in this ridiculous contraption.'

7. Alistair
    Go

Is this the new Fireblade?

I for one welcome - oh stuff this I'm off on my bike. See ya!

8. this

Yes but

which one's the robot?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

date?

so which is the April fool - the story, or the link about Windows Mobile for Business?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like